Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Will the industry ever give up on 24fps? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Will the industry ever give up on 24fps?
Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post is related to my post about not being satisfied with the projected image quality during a showing of Terminator 3. I know there are many factors that can make the final look of the film on screen appear less than stellar. In action movies with lots of motion is anyone really satisfied with 24fps.

I ask you as a consumer why don you go to 48fps or 60fps? I know the studios produce the movies but you sell them. Is Maxivison48 not a good concept at least for putting the story onto a film medium. With 48fps you could offer a better product and the studios could offer excellent quality after life secondary sales of the movie?

I mean something like Maxivison48 must be much cheaper for you than going digital or?

interested consumer Mattias Ohlson

|  IP: Logged

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-08-2003 04:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an age when most Scope format movies are Super 35 blowups, when certain full scale Hollywood productions and even IMAX releases are being shot on video and 65/70mm (5-perf) production is completely dead and buried, I see little evidence that the powers that be consider image quality to be a selling point at all. And since they aren't even willing to maintain what we've had in the past the chances of them investing in improving it are slim to none. Sorry.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 06:09 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder why sound gets all the attention these days. It seems that in the golden age of new theatrical release formats beginning with Cinerama in 1952, introducing a new format meant superior sound and superior picture. Cinerama with 6-perf three-panel picture and 7-track sound; CinemaScope with anamorphic picture and 4-track sound; Todd-AO with 70mm picture, 30 fps, and 6-track sound; etc. Why has cinema sound continued to evolve but cinema picture remained stagnant? Yes, filmstock has come a long way, but these are incremental changes rather than bold new steps.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 06:25 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that comes to mind almost immedately would be film stress being pulled through the projector at greater then 24fps. Is that not why they had to develop the new film motion design for IMAX?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 08-08-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there was Showscan that ran at 60 frames per second. 70MM and didn't Todd-A0 run at 30 frames per second. Remember the faster the film runs through the more film stock you need.

Jonathan Ralston
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Jonathan Ralston   Email Jonathan Ralston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I watch movies with my friends, most never notice dirt, scratches, or splices unless it's really bad, and I would say that a majority of the movie-goers are the same way. So if I made a movie, I sure wouldn't want to make a regular three can movie a six can movie, make all projection booths buy new film delivery systems, etc. Aren't three hour movies big enough at 24 fps?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-08-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real problem is industry wide apathy. The distributors don't care. The exhibitors don't care. And the audiences don't care.

Well, I think that's what most people in charge want us all to believe. It is more profitable for them that way. Move image quality standards to lesser and lesser values while slightly improving profit margins.

What it's going to take is someone with influence to finally stand up, "grow a pair" and start knocking some heads. If George Lucas could convince a good number of people to buy into a video production concept that isn't even 1/2 the quality of 1080i HDTV then someone else with some power could do some arm twisting in the favor of better film presentation.

Just how many people does it take to go through and OK having a single film shot 30fps or 48fps? How many stand in the way of shooting a movie in 65mm? How many stand in the way of striking some 70mm prints and having a 70mm showcase screening?

There's a good number of filmmakers out there who have more than enough clout to force such a thing to happen. But they are sitting back comfortably while much of the rest of us seem satisfied with apathy.

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 09:20 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part IMAX runs 24fps. Accept for a few theatres that run 48fps.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 02:10 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there even any IMAX HD features to play in the handful of HD-equipped theatres? AFAIK the 48 fps project was dead on arrival. One exception is the "Soarin' Over California" ride at Disneyland's California Adventure. Now that is an example of an improved picture technology making a definite impact on the viewers along with other effects of the ride. Anyone who visits California Adventure must check this one out.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-09-2003 03:44 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Maxivision48 more than just a higher frame rate? Didn't it include a new, more precise intermittent module? I never saw any real technical data other than the explanation Roger Ebert once did in his column. The whole package ran about $800 to upgrade and only a short time to convert -- evidently the system was not compatible with standard prints so you would have to switch back to the original intermittent to run non-Maxivision48 prints -- at least that's what I remember of it.

If the SMPTE Journal ever did a piece on it, I missed it. John...?

Frank

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-09-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Momentum is the one we show ocasionally at Ontario Place and was the first 48fps film

Dave Callaghan
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for Dave Callaghan   Email Dave Callaghan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can read about Maxivision 48 at

http://www.maxivisioncinema.com/maxivisioninfo1002.pdf

This is a 27 page General Information paper from July 2002.

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's been many discussions over the years about moving to 30fps, if only to eliminate the 3:2 pulldown when converting to video for TV and other video uses, but it is NEVER going to happen. The industry doesn't want to convert and they don't want to use the 25% additional in print stock, especially in an era when major film releases might mean more than 2500 prints.

On the other hand, there have also been proposals for various "compact release print" formats, which are 2-perf or 3-perf and use less stock. The industry has rejected those as well.

In the late 70s, when 70mm films were popular (although they were virtually all blowups from 35mm), there were numerous 70mm releases mainly to gain the advantages of 6-track mag sound. Even though you can get more light behind the 70mm print in projection, that was much less a factor.

If audiences would stop attending theatres that had lousy projection, the studios might be more inclined to invest in superior presentation. But audiences tend to care more about stadium seating and fancy concession stands if they care at all.

Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK

It will never happen with film, I get that. So the cost is on the duplication side of the coin not so much on the film stock to record the movie. Is it not a good idea to go to higher fps at the same time as the cinemas goes digital , that is if they go digital. You get the quality of film for capturing with plenty of fps, 48 with the Maxivision48 system, and you can show it without degradation by projecting digitally still at the high fps.

Film should be used for production at 48fps or whereabouts. Then good transfers with it projected digitally at 2k-4k at 48fps with the resolution depending on venue.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-10-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin wrote:

quote:

There's been many discussions over the years about moving to 30fps, if only to eliminate the 3:2 pulldown when converting to video for TV and other video uses, but it is NEVER going to happen.

30 fps production would eliminate the problem for NTSC transfers, at the expense of introducing a similar one for PAL transfers, so overall you wouldn't really gain anything.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: