Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Who get quality prints and who does not get them?

Author Topic: Who get quality prints and who does not get them?
Mattias Ohlson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-08-2003 02:41 PM      Profile for Mattias Ohlson   Email Mattias Ohlson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently attended a showing of Terminator 3 and I was not impressed with the quality of the image projected. I live in medium sized town in Sweden. I posted about this in a swedish forum and was told that prints are made at different quality levels. I was also informed that subtitling foreign films degrade the image quality. Is this correct?

If this is so who gets the best prints? Also do we get copies of copies here in Europe or how is distribution of movies on films carried out?

respectfully

movie attender Mattias Ohlson

|  IP: Logged

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2003 04:47 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
subtitles can worsen the image. if they are printed-in, then at some point 2 strips of film would have to be run through one on top of the other, which could affect the focus if contact printed. i don't know if this is normally done optically. but it seems like a golden opportunity for dirt to be introduced in the printing and for quality control to slacken.

it's been a few years since i saw a film there, but i'm pretty sure sweden uses only laser subtitling (small market). this is done after the fact on an otherwise finished print. sometimes used prints get recycled overseas and subtitled, so there may be some wear. even on a new print, i've seen many instances where somehow the subtitles "leak" onto other portions of the frame, for the duration of that subtitle. but even then it's obvious that's it's just a problem with the subtitle, not the overall quality of the print.

i hope i didn't flub the details.

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-11-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subtitles can be inserted by optical printing, bi-pack printing (sandwiching the subtitle negative with the picture negative during contact printing), by chemical etch through a wax stencil, and by laser ablation.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: