Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Exhaust Duct sources needed (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Exhaust Duct sources needed
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 10:29 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Xenex II Lamphouse has a 6" outlet on the top for the exhaust duct, and I need to find a source for the actual duct itself. I don't want to use standard "flex duct" like you use on HVAC stuff, but a flexible rigid metal duct.

What do you guys use, and where can I get some??

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can get the flexible aluminum ducting at Home Depot.

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And, if a Home Depot or Loews is not handy, McMaster-Carr and Granger are reliable sources and will accept phone and internet orders.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 08-06-2003 07:07 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I would use the least amount of flex duct as possible. Use straight rigid ducts as much as possible right down to within a few inches of the lamphouse.

The flex ducts severly restrict airflow and induce internal turbulance.

>>> Phil

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-06-2003 08:10 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I generally use flex for a minimum of 3-feet with celing line to lamphouse as typical.

Home Depot does have the "semi-rigid" duct. My preference is definately insulated though.

Steve

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with everyone above. Another source for flexible metal ducting is a woodstove supply dealer. We have stainless flexible and rigid piping in my mom's house.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any good heating supply house in the Nashville area will have rigid 6" duct pipe in 3', and 5' lengths. 6" elbow pipes are fully adjustable.

24ga metal is the best. It's used as flue pipe on furnaces, etc. 30ga is thin. It is used mostly in HVAC ductwork.

I agree with not using flex aluminum. Holds the air back!

Use self-tapping sheet metal screws when you attach the pipes and elbows together.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 09:23 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Home Depot and got 6" rigid duct and then one piece of flex duct too. I mounted the rigid up in the ceiling between the rafters and went from that to the lamphouse with the flex. I got 2 inline helper fans from McMaster Carr for about $30 each and have them wired to a switch on the wall. Now the rigid pipe sucks and the lamphouse blows.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you guys suggest to get a 6" x 8" adapter, and run 8" all the way up to the exhaust fan or keep it 6" until I get to the fan?

One of the other drive-in owner's suggested I transition from 6" up to 8"???

I want to make this a clean as possible installation.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bigger the pipe the less "wall turbulence". I guess size depends on how many kw you are running.

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know a company called "Dundas Jafine" that makes ducts, adpaters, etc.

Check it out: http://www.dundasjafine.com

Andrew

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-07-2003 11:02 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back to Film-Tech Andrew! (Hopefully older and wiser. [Wink] )

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you back Andrew.

I'm running 4kw... with a water cooled gate

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-07-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every elbow every turn adds what is called static pressure to the system.
The size of the exhaust fan and the motor horsepower needs to based on the volume of air required to be moved at a given velocity and at what static pressure
I usually use a square duct from the fan to the ceiling area above the lamphouse and then a piece of flex straight down to the lamphouse
A bypass damper at the juntion of the flex and the duct will allow the contractor to balance the system for the desired airflow

Marc Jones
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Marc Jones   Email Marc Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
look at
http://www.mcmaster.com/
thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: