Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » PC Based Oscilloscope

Author Topic: PC Based Oscilloscope
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 10:13 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to get your expert views about this product?

www.softdsp.com

Product is SDS200. Look at spec sheet (4 pages, PDF)

Price: Approx $850 USD

Basic Specs
2 Channel
200 MHz Bandwidth

Thanks
Paul

|  IP: Logged

Jim Alexander
Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Jim Alexander   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Alexander   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the main drawbacks of any digitally based oscilloscope is the inability to show changes in the signal, immediately, as they occur. There will always be a certain level of delay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but reading through the spec sheet, there is also no provision for X-Y display. When aligning analog sound readers, this is virtually a must. Also another problem that occurs is with signals in the higher frequency ranges, resolution begins to drop off making the ability to show annomilies more and more difficult. Hacing use oscilloscopes for over 20years, I remain a true fan of the tried and true analog oscilloscope.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They start out saying that this thing has a 5Gs/s sampeling rate, then tell you it is really 100Ms/s, unless you are using bath channels, then it is 50Ms/s; but it still works like it is 5Gs/s. This sounds like magic to me, and I would tend to doubt the 200MHz bandwidth. I did not see any way to feed it an external trigger. There are times that you want to use both channels to display waveforms, and trigger from a third source. From what I saw in their information, this unit cannot do this. I have never been happy with the displayed resolution of this type of unit. From their information it lookes like there is a max input of 42V. This could be a problem as well. And just think about having to wait for Windows to boot up before you can use your scope (it could be a good time for a coffee break).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-05-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could by a good used dual trace on ebay for 1/4 that amount

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 08-06-2003 03:12 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or a brand new dual trace for about 1/2 that. [Smile]

-Aaron

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2003 07:33 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I bought my scope on e-bay for $450
4ch 100Mhz analog scope with a built-in "computer" i.e. it will actually measure and display voltage, time, phase, freq etc.
Air Force surplus. Came with a big set of probes too.

Stay away from PC scopes for theater work. They don't have the resolution , the bandwidth, not in real time, and are too expensive. (Although not carrying around that big analog scope and just having the laptop would be nice...)
Jonathan

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: