Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Life without film cleaners (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Life without film cleaners
Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having no luck convincing management to order the film guard package, not even the bottle. All I have to use is Xecote which seems to help prevent hard buildup in the gate/trap. Given the fact that I run the shows only half of the time and the other guy has problems even brushing out the trap, how long can a new print be kept in acceptable condition ? Am I wasting my time doing all the cleaning and dusting on my shifts ?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 10:27 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember that xekote is a lubricant for gates and film not a cleaner. I would not suggest using it in the same manner as film guard. I would try and get a sample from Brad and demonstrate it's use for your theater. So long as you have a film cleaner that is.

It is important to keep eveything clean and maintained. I have ran films for months and they stayed in acceptable condition. Minimal dirt few if any abraisions. Keep careing that is what is important.

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Darryl sorry if I was unclear that is what I use it for..to lubricate the trap and gate.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, using an on-line film cleaner is one of the easiest and least expensive ways of improving presentation quality. [Smile]
A good investment in "Film Done Right". [Cool]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After seeing the amount of crap that is picked up by the film cleaner, I would never go without one. I was especially surprised by the amount of dust on new prints.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "dust" on new prints often comes from the well-worn and dirty shipping cases. But another factor is that the first few times through a projector, the sprockets and rollers scuff the perforations and edges of the film, generating some debris until the film becomes "burnished". Using a film cleaner removes this debris before it can become stuck to the film.

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you speak of film cleaner do you mean particle transfer rollers (P.T.R's).

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 09:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's PTRs clean the film by simple contact adhesion with a specially finished polyurethane roller. So nothing is put on the film. They are especially useful in applications like IMAX projectors, cleaning raw stock, cleaning printing negatives, on telecines, etc. where nothing can be added to the film.

The other popular on-line cleaner is the web cleaner, originally developed by 3M (and commercialized for motion picture projectors by Christie and Kelmar) as a dry web that captured dirt particles, and now often used with FilmGuard to also treat film prints with a proprietary formula that provides lubrication.

Jesse August
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 10:09 PM      Profile for Jesse August   Email Jesse August   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an IMAX projectionist. And we use PTRs and nothing else. That's why I was wondering what was being discussed. Thanks.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was the leader of the Kodak team that developed and commercialized PTRs for motion picture film cleaning, which just won this year's EPA Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/awards/03winners.html

http://millimeter.com/ar/video_kodak_receives_epa/

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Media cleaners don't damage the ozone! They need the award, too! Hmmm... my fingernail clippers also do more to protect the ozone than damage it. Another award required! [Smile]

Media cleaners might win if there were more corporate/political pull behind them. The next president of the US will see to that (we will purchase this president... don't think it can't be done!) [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They need the award, too!
Then why don't you submit an application to the EPA?:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/awards/02index.html

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/awards/NominationForm_Ozone_2004.pdf

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2003 11:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prolly 'cause I didn't invent it. [Smile]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2003 01:22 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a staunch supporter of Film Guard; it really keeps a print clean. I can attest to the fact that by using Film Guard, along with proper film handling, equipment cleaning and maintenance, a print can look just as good after months of use as it did on its initial showing!

But I do have a question for John Pytlak and Joe Redifer. The booth of my old employer was vented directly to the outside with no filters or booth atmosphereic control. The projectors were the Christie package. What would happen is (even with the use of FG), a newer print would leave a rather heavy paste on the gate bands and rollers (especially on SRD Digital Soundheads).I never had any scratches or loss of sound due to this problem, but I would like to know if I could have done something within my realm to prevent this from happening? What do you think was causing this to happen?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-01-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When was this theater built? The older Christie trap/gate combo was pretty rough. I had a Christie theater that opened in early 1998 I believe. We had the same problem (multiplied by 24 since we didn't have Filmguard at the time). Christie actually recommended making a loop of fullcoat mag and running it in the projectors overnight to smooth things out. Then the next night I was to do the same thing again, only reverse the loops so they were rubbing against the gate instead of the trap bands.

To my knowledge Christie has resolved this problem as I have not heard of it in the newer installations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: