Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » An Ugly Lab Splice

Author Topic: An Ugly Lab Splice
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday the projectionist who prepare the trailers remove this lab splice: I neve saw an horrible thing like this [Eek!]
Wha do You think about it ?
 -

Funny Is In't ?

[ 07-30-2003, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: Joe Redifer ]

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 01:35 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like a tire patch to me.

That lab tech must've been hired away from a gas station.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 02:22 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd rather see a splice made with duct tape.

Obviously this is a perfect example of film done wrong, even before an exhibitor got their hands on it.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 03:03 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect the printer operator making the normal ultrasonic raw stock splice in the darkroom did not trust the reliability of that particular splice to go through the printer and processing machine without breaking. So they reinforced it with tape on the emulsion side, leaving undeveloped emulsion under the tape. (With continuous-feed printers, there's usually not enough time to completely remake an ultrasonic lab splice without a machine shutdown). These rare "really ugly" lab splices are normally removed after processing, before the prints are shipped.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-30-2003 03:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
When splices go bad ... Wednesday night on Fox!

-

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah the joys of large format [Roll Eyes]

I had a report from an ex employee of a certain Canadian company that he once found a print joined with staples [Eek!] because the theatre's ultrasonic splicer had given up the ghost!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2003 03:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a splice Scott Norwood has been hounding me to post for about 2 years now.

-

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-31-2003 05:59 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The scary thing is that the splice which I sent to Brad came from a print which had already played a first-run engagement somewhere.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 07:43 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that about 5 million reels of prints are made each year worldwide, it does seem that these ultrasonic lab splices that required reinforcement with tape before processing are indeed a RARE occurance. I agree they shouldn't happen, and the loss of a few frames of continuity when they have to be removed by the theatre is unfortunate.

Ron Lacheur
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 09:11 AM      Profile for Ron Lacheur   Email Ron Lacheur   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the lab splices that get me pissed are the ones that have a defect, not at the splice it's self, but a couple of frames ahead. The frame line goes out and when the film is ran, it goes out of frame.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Lacheur wrote:
quote:
the lab splices that get me pissed are the ones that have a defect, not at the splice it's self, but a couple of frames ahead. The frame line goes out and when the film is ran, it goes out of frame.

In those (hopefully rare) cases, the splice evidently caused the film to briefly jump off the printer sprocket, then reset itself a perf or two out of frame. Even though you can remove the offending splice and resplice in frame, I suggest you report these kind of problems back to the distributor and film exchange, even if you are not asking for a replacement reel.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-31-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
In my photo above, it wasn't even a splice. It was marked out to be a splice, but the "quality assurance" person never actually made the splice. This was, of course, reported to appropriate parties and the person who was supposed to have inspected the print called me to apologize.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a large format roll of dailies arrive one that had a piece of black electrical tape for a splice
Yes it was a very sinking feeling as we as it come up the side of the machine and into the rotor [Mad]

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 08-01-2003 02:30 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why'd you go and post that pic Brad? Now you've got no leverage to get Scott to do stuff!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: