Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hurley Screen Problems

Author Topic: Hurley Screen Problems
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had two new Hurley screens lately with a noticable hash that runs diagonoly across the entire screen. One was pretty bad looking, the other not as noticable. Anyone else had this problem lately? In the past 20 years I never had a defective Hurley screen...wonder whats up with them as they supposedly look at each manufactured screen under light......
Mark

|  IP: Logged

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Mark,

I hope this is an isolated incidnt with Hurley as I am looking to bid for one for the Howard Twin for thier downstairs auditorium.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 01:20 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've never used a Hurley screen but was just wondering if this was a painted screen or matte white?? Possible paint problem?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 08:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Might there have been a problem during shipment of the screens? Really hot or humid conditions could cause a problem with a tightly wrapped screen. I doubt that an obvious problem would not have been caught before the screen was packed for shipping.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-30-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hurley does not paint their screens as others do. Their material is already colored or coated as it will be in final form prior to assembly. Once in a blue moon I've seen a Hurley with different color panels. Hurley normally alternates top to bottom and bottom to top as they aseemble a screen so that if there are variations across the material that at the seams, there will be a smooth transistion rather than a sudden jump.

Based on the above, diagonal streaking almost would sound like a rolling or shipping issue as John stated (since if the material was pre-damaged, it should alternate from panel to panel).

Steve

Dennis Lunt
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 11:08 AM      Profile for Dennis Lunt   Email Dennis Lunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To clarify what Mark said, the two defective screens are among 8 pearlescents we have recently installed. One was noticed as soon as light was put on the screen, and was shipped back to Hurley last week for their evaluation. Mark noticed the second one yesterday, which apparently isn't as bad as the first.

The defective pattern cannot be seen without white light on the screen. The pattern is as wide as each panel, and consists of a rectangle about 2-3' high of normal appearance followed by one the same size with a graded appearence top-left to bottom-right corner of each rectangle. This repeats all the way up each and every panel, with each panel per what Steve said alternating giving a checkboard look, which overall gives a diagonal hash look. Hope this all makes sense.

First thought was defective perforation of the screen, but the perfs look fine on close inspection. Any other thoughts while we wait for word from Hurley?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-30-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah...

Based on that information, I'd say Hurley had some defective goods that they didn't notice was on the roll and proceeded to assemble the screen. As you say, you had to put light on the screen to really see it...I can't say I've ever enountered that before...I'd wouldn't be too harsh on Hurley...everyone has problems from time to time and Hurley generally has VERY few.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually as it turns out there are a total of 7 defective (to various degrees) screens in this plex. One has already been replaced, and the relacement looks really good. Seems like Hurley's quality is slipping a couple of notches. The problem was not visible when they were first installed and plates filed. This seems to become more obvious after they have been up a month or so. No, the screens are not over stretched as the frames are curved.

Aside from the obvious perf problems that exist there are also visible seams in a couple of them. In 20 years of doing this work this is the first time I could easily see a seam in a Hurley screen from the booth!! Hurley must be farming some of their screen manufacturing out to Technikote????? They have always been a no compromise outfit in the past though and gladly replaced the first reported defective one.
Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: