Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fader Automaton

Author Topic: Fader Automaton
Peter Hodgson
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 07:55 PM      Profile for Peter Hodgson   Email Peter Hodgson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am newly registered although I have been a lurker here for some time.

I'm looking for any information on a subject that I'm sure has been well documented within this forum - the automation of fader level with various processor types. Specifically, Dolby CP-200, CP-65, CP-45, CP-500, CP-650, Sony DFP-2000 & DFP-3000.

Perhaps Brad or someone else could direct me to past threads that relate to this topic.

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-29-2003 08:47 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only processors I can think off that allow for automated (via pre-sets) fader settings are the Dolby CP500, Dolby CP650, and Panastereo units.

When the new USL DSP processor hits the market, I am sure it will allow for the same.

-Aaron

Peter Hodgson
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for Peter Hodgson   Email Peter Hodgson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply. I do recall some reference to a simple mod to a 65 that will allow for this. There was also a thread posted a couple of months back (which I've been unable to locate) where I believe Brad commented that there was a way to do this with most processors. (BRAD! ARE YOU READING THIS?)

Peter

Alan Haigh
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Alan Haigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The newer processors (CP500/650, D3000, DTS 6AD) have 0 to 10 Volt remote input, if your automation supports this. If not the D3000 will do presets at different levels too. I can also imagine an external box - a series of double pole relays (fed from seperate preset commands on the automation) which each sent a pulse to the same preset on the CP, plus a potentiometer between 0 and 10V to set the level (on the other pole of the relay.)

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-31-2003 03:35 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you just looking for a fader to turn down your trailers, so that you would only need two different fader settings, one for the trailers and another for the feature?

If so, if you look in the tips section under 'Battling Loud Trailers' you'll find directions on how to do this with your CP-65 and CP-45 (same way for both). If I'm not mistaken the CP-200 is done in a similar fashion also. Just look in the manual under 'remote fader'.

The CP-500 and CP-650 allow for fader settings to be assigned to formats, so you only need to wire your automation accordingly. A quick read of the relevant sections in your manuals (available for download in the manuals section) will make it clear on how to do this.

Or for more info about fader presets on the CP-500 do a search for "fader preset" under "Film Handler's Forum".

I don't know how it is done on the Sony gear, but I'm sure Michael will be along in no time to enlighten us. [Smile]

And as always, if you don't own the equipment, make sure you have the permission of who ever does own it before you go a playin'.

Peter Hodgson
Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for Peter Hodgson   Email Peter Hodgson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all. I believe I have what I need.

Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: