Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Warped Shutter

Author Topic: Warped Shutter
Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 06:06 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was brought to my attention the other day that a weird metallic noise was coming from near the trap area. (exact words from the night lead projectionist)After some troubleshooting I came to the conclusion it was the shutter blade slightly hitting, but the interesting thing is it only starts making noise during the middle of the movie. Bringing me to wonder if my lamp amperage is too high and that I might actually be causing this warping of the shutter. Has this ever happened to anyone before. Just curious as to your insights.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it happens, but if you want specific assistance you're going to have to list what make and model projectors you are running.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad:

He has the Christie booth package (Christie projectors, consoles, and platters) from Scott Hicks' American Cinema Equipment. Some equipment was used and some was brand new. I know for sure the Christie platters were USED. I was there when the equipment was being installed originally. I live only 10 miles from his theater.

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 06:56 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Ken that is absolutly right. I am running Christie m35gps's and Used christie aw3r's. As Ken put it the Christie booth package. Thanks for the response let me know if you need more info.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Josh!

I have talked about maintaining the Christie Shutter in other threads and so have others, but here is a quick low-down:

If you need to time a Christie Shutter, it is possible to place it too far to the front or rear of the shaft. THis will cause interference. When you go to tighten it down, just observe and listen...pull the machine through manually...common sense.

Make sure that you are using the new style steel gears on the shutter and hack-shaft assemblies, and not the old light-weight style! And if you need to swap pullies, be careful! Christie had a tendency to Lock-Tight the set screws in place, and they can be a bear to get out!

When setting the belt tension, you do not want it too loose (ghosting), or too tight (excessive wear on gears and bearings). How to tell if the tension is correct? If you pinch the belt together in the center, then it should just touch...but without using excessive pressure to make it do so.

Also be sure to clean the entire assembly on a weekly basis (including removing the sheetmetal belt cover)! A good cleaning and a few drops of Christie Belt Lube on a weekly basis will really prolong life and make the machine operate soooo much smoother! Christie also recommends in their manual to replace the belt every few months or so...I do recommend doing so!

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 07:16 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great feedback Will, I have a few questions to your response. First are you saying you think the shutter is improperly aligned, because I just did my annual belt change on that particular machine and i'm not sure but I believe the technician had loosened the shutter in order to time it, but it just seems to me they would'nt make a mistake like that.

Also you make sure your using the new style steel gears as opposed to what exactly? (forgive my ignorance) and why would I swap the pulleys? Would a warped shutter damage them?

As for cleaning I do weekly maintenance on the trap, gate and shutter cover, but I have never applied any belt lube before nor was it ever recommended to me. I will try this practice from now on. The only thing I'm not sure about is determining what is a worn belt and what is still useable. How do you apply the belt lube exactly? You said change the shutter belts every few months or so this does not apply to the other belts im sure. right? thanks.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 07:41 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have not had the experience of a warped shutter. But the shutter could have been bent from an accident such as dropping it? These shutters are balanced at the factory...common sense observation will show you where....

The other belts are really not a problem. The Shutter Shaft-Jack Shaft belt (the one with the twist is!) This belt is subject to exessive wear. As far as the gear pullies are concerned (the ones that this belt wraps around) are subject to excessive wear. The early versions were stamped aluminum. The newer ones are steel and are by far more durable.

Christie sells the belt lube dressing...which is a graphite based solution, if I remember right. Shake it up real good. And apply a few drops whil pulling the machine through by hand, and not with the machine running!

Belt wear=common sense...you'll know!

I strongly suggest that you get familiar with all the Christie manuals (aviable at no cost in the FT Manuals Forum).

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,
You have my condolences on your Christies!! As you will soon find out they are the MOST REPAIRED projectors on the market. Also keep gloves around for when you strip one down for repair so your hands don't turn black from the BELT YUCK that the machines generate. Not too bad on screen but there are SO MANY better projectors out there......
Mark @ CLACO

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your Sympathy's are most appreciated. I dont have a comparsion so I cant say Christie is the most repaired, but let me tell ya.

Jason Burroughs
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Jason Burroughs   Email Jason Burroughs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd check the shutter alignment on the shaft, make sure its not too far forward or too far back, and that it's not close to touching anything. Also check that the shutter is tight on the shaft, do not over tighten.

I think that the Christies generally get an unfair bad rap. The ones that I have worked with, did not require anything other than basic maintenace when not due to other factors, such as a brain wrap breaking the arm on the airpot. If you take care of the Christies, they'll take care of you.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's more of a learning curve than anything with the Christies. Once you know all of the quirky hows to take care of them, they do seem to do a nice job. For example, on the airpot issue, just snip off the last 1/16" of the shaft before you install it and it will never break again. [Wink]

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
generally speaking, I do not like the Christie P35 GPS either. But I must give Bevan Wright and Christie due credit. They really tend to listen to customers complaints and make serious attempts to address and rectify problems. They are also great with customer service and tech support...Bevan Wright is a good teacher and helped me out on more than one occasion!

The P35GPS really requires a lot of up-keep and maintenance (especially cleaning). Christie tends to use Lock-Tight on their hardware...something I consider a major no no! The correct locking hardware sould be used instead.

For instance, I had one gate assembly where the set screws for the lateral guides and jeweles just loved to loosen up. Nothing like having a lateral guide fall apart (and the jewels get lost in the carpet) in the middle of the show! Also, Sometimes the screws that hold the trap shoe on like to loosen up. Be careful...it could severely damage a print! I always checked them between shows!

Per Christie's suggestion, I rebuilt all of the gates/traps at my old theatre with new hardware and Lock-Tight. But I would recommend Christie contact a company like WM BERG in New York, who is a manufacturer of specialized hardware components. They even have self locking set screws...that have fibre inserts running the length of the screw body. I really think that Christie needs to get away from Lock-Tight!

The Christie gate/trap assemblies can also be time consuming (and a pain) to clean. I do think that a small, inexpensive ultra-sonic cleaner would do wonders. But I would have concerns about this type of cleaner loosening up hardware...unless Christie changes their Lock-Tight ways. I did want to experiment with this idea, and some of the jewelers in the shopping mall where my theatre was were game. Problem was that the management at my old theatre had their tail between their legs for political reasons...and were to cheap to buy a cleaner.

With one exception, every P35GPS that I have seen in operation has not had a very steady picture! The one exception was at Century Park Place 20 in Tucson, AZ. One machine there...excuse me for forgetting what screen...had a rock steady picture.

Generally speaking, Christie lamphouses and consoles are quality. The sheetmetal bracket for the amperage adjustment knobs in the SLC consoles could be beefed up. And the air ducting could be made better...and more maintenance friendly (made easier to clean on a regular basis).

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 09:56 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tell you what trying to clean the trap & gate assy. on the M35GPS is a pain in the rear. The turret does give you any room to get in there. I generally remove the trap, gate, and shutter cover once a week for routine cleaning. Overall though i'm satisfied w/ christie projectors i've had to replace the jackshaft assy. on two separate machines (dry bearings), Had a diode fail, and well, thats all in 2 1/2 years. So I can't complain. I do agree with Will though on the unsteady picture issue. I'm not sure how similar the trap & gate are to the P35GPS, but I'm always coming in and finding the tension knob all the way tight from the night projectionist (extremely irratating!) which I think might be some of the cause of my unsteadiness. Not all together sure but overall Christie has put more shows on the screen for me than off. In addition I will be tearing into the shutter tomorrow evening so I'll make sure to let you guys know what the verdict is. Thanks as always and great advice; oh by the way Brad anymore tricks of the trade concerning Christie? [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: