Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Maintenance Advice

Author Topic: Maintenance Advice
Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on a permanent maintenance schedule for my booth. We've only been open for almost three years, running 8 christie m35's. I have'nt fortunatly ran into to many problems and I stay very rigorous on the cleaning of my machines. My problem is I just cant come up with a schedule I can use effciently. If someone could offer some sort of comparison I would gladly apprieciate it. Also what sort of reports do general managers expect from thier head projectionists? In what intervals? etc. Thank you for the future help.

|  IP: Logged

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 07:44 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look under the FT threads "shit hot presentations" and "maintenance schedules".

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 08:23 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In terms of reports I think it is important to have an open dialog with the manager and talk with him about things he would like to see done, as well as things you would like to do. I work for an independent chain so written reports are not usually taken seriously. You may want to consider an end of the year report, maybe get a cheap binder for some asthetic appeal (all depends on who your trying to impress - if anybody). Include any big ticket repairs, bulb changes, oil changes, etc. Conclude by outlining goals you have in mind for the next year or a wishlist of equipment / supplies you'll be needing in the short run.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a daily cleaning schedule setup such that there's a projector to clean in the matinee and one to clean in the evening. This is over and above the basic prethread cleaning. Things like cleaning platters and rollers, dusting the sound rack and cleaning the port glass and lenses. We leave thursday and friday with no specific cleaning duties as those are the days we are doing makeups and trailer changes.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-29-2003 07:47 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old General Cinema "GC Booth" website is still on-line, and has an example of a maintenance calendar:

http://zulugruv.home.texas.net/gcc/calendar.htm

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks for all the help. Let me see. First, Will "shit-hot presentation" is an excellent overview of how to go about the standard maintenance. I'll be sure to incorporate these ideas into my day to day routine. Will, out of curiousity are you running Christie's? If so I'd like some ideas on the specific maintenance towards them. Thanks for the help.
Second, Aaron I enjoyed your insights on communication w/ managers. I work for an Independant Theater as well so I completly understand what you mean when you say "written reports are not taken seriously." The only documents i'm required to submit are a monthly bulb report and a mothly trailer inventory. Everything else I have to take the initiative on Major Inventory, Fault Log, Maintenance Schedules which I submit annually. Also we have weekly meetings where the managers and I discuss issues and ideas. So does this sound pretty average to you or is there something im missing. regardless I apprieciate the help. Thanks Aaron.

As to Greg thanks for the response. A couple of quick questions for ya. First do you guys update your main. log by computer or by hand? second do tasks by interval (bi-ann, monthly etc.)? Or just as needed? Third do you just have one log for everything or one per theater? any help would be great.

Last but certainly not least. John P. I've read many of your posts and I consider you a GENIUS! Those old charts will make a perfect template for my new Maintenance Log. So Thanks. Any other questions an i'll be sure to post' em thank you Film Folks

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 07:07 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the compliment, Josh.

I just made a post under your "shutter warping" thread regarding shutter maintenance.

But there are some other pointers to help you out, all of which have been discussed before. See if you can research all topics regarding the Christie Package. If you still have questions, then e-mail me at WKUTLER1506@YAHOO.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: