Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » eprad sword question

Author Topic: eprad sword question
Dave Ganoe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Dave Ganoe   Email Dave Ganoe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to use any other soundhead with an eprad sword other than an eprad soundhead? I have an rca 1040 and wondered if it would fit without any modifications? I dont have the sword yet but Im hoping to get it soon. I dont have much room to set up and it will be a great space saver. THanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it will work with other soundheads. The Eprad sword is a combination pedestal/film transport device that doesn't care what kind of projector is mounted to it. You may need an adapter plate to line up the mounting holes in the RCA soundhead to the projector head, as well as to the sword. There is an Eprad sword installation manual in the "manuals" section of this forum...

Hint: make sure all conduit and cabling goes BELOW the bottom rollers of the film loop created by the sword. This will allow you to stop a film in the middle and rewind without splicing, particularly handy for changing trailers and the like.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2003 01:57 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way a lot of them mounted was the top plate extended through between the projector and lamphouse so it is probably possible to make a template and drill the top plate
Other versions actually had a bullnose on them

Tony Ratcliff
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Tony Ratcliff   Email Tony Ratcliff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got Swords in both of my houses.
Both have a Simplex E-7 projector head and SH-1000 sound head.

Tom Sauter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Tom Sauter   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Sauter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tony has probably had his Swords apart further than anyone on this list [Smile]

An earlier discussion on this same topic is here.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These are pretty much the same as the Double MUT. They operate about the same too and are easy to repair...or build fomr scratch if one is needed.
I always wanted to see EPRAD make a product called the "Machine GUN"........
Mark @ CLACO

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we had stayed reel-to-reel... and if the machine was still supported, I'd have stayed with the Sword in a heartbeat. The powered feed AND takeup spindles worked far better than the old Cinemechanica tower I once had. [puke]

The Double MUT was cool, too. I still have a couple of 4' reels that we used at a drive-in. Got two features on that critter, no problem. We usually waited until the next evening to rewind, though. Took about half an hour! Both Eprad products had absolutely no problem dealing with fast or slow starting projectors.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 05:07 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run several Double MUTS in theatres, never having a problem with them.
Never encountered a SWORD, although a friend of mine had two running in a tri-plex. His only complaint was rewind time between showings. I told him to build a rewind bench that would handle the 4' reels and that solved his rewind time on the SWORD. A Kel-Mar rewind will take a 36" reel with no problem, if you can lift it that far.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 07:36 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you mention it is fairly straight foward to make up a double mutt if needed. What would be involved? Would it be possible to make it like a plater that pays out from the edge with the film being head out? Just need something for some outdoor shows and so am looking into other options.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2003 08:12 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark you mention it is fairly straight foward to make up a double mutt if needed. What would be involved? Would it be possible to make it like a plater that pays out from the edge with the film being head out? Just need something for some outdoor shows and so am looking into other options.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: