Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » T3 - Dts CSS Disc : Not Coming soon

Author Topic: T3 - Dts CSS Disc : Not Coming soon
Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continuing where I left about our new DTS CSS installation, I write here to say everything is fine with this marvellous CSS machine - except that the DTS CSS discs are there at some places in this world, but the studios havent figured out a way to reach these discs to places that need them.

I am playing T3 now. I need a DTS CSS english disc. I asked the COLUMBIA TRISTAR distributor in Bangalore ( While Warner Bros. handles the distribution in the North America : US and Canada, SONY PICTURES handles international distribution for T3). He in turn asked the COLUMBIA TRISTAR office in Mumbai.

Hoping to get the discs, I spoke with the COLUMBIA TRISTAR in London (called the SONY PICTURES, UK) to find out if I could get the CSS disc for the T3 from them. DTS UK have confirmed that they have authored CSS disc in ENGLISH for T3 and these discs are currently playing at the UK.

It really disappoints to find that most studios have created too many artificial barriers between its branches that if an exhibitor starts to secure something that is available only in another country or location, he is bound to feel frustrated soon or realise that people in any branch have a limited concern for how to further the goals of their parent studio.

Are the studios themselves responsible for fashioning such attitudes amongst its employees ?

Like I have suggested previously, it is really very important that the Studios prepare a CSS disc in ENGLISH and make it available at a central location from where, it may be passed on to the ultimate user - the exhibitor.

If the Warner Bros had only asked the DTS location in the Los Angeles to prepare a CSS Disc for T3 in ENGLISH :

1 ) I could ask the COLUMBIA TRISTAR distributor in BANGALORE for the CSS disc.

2) He could in turn ask the DTS office in Bangalore for the same.

3) The DTS office in Bangalore could get the disc from the DTS office in Los Angeles. Give it to the distributor. And the distributor gives it over to me.

Three simple steps and done.

With more and more markets taking to the DTS CSS, it is only reasonable for the studios to open their minds and help exhibitors get what they want at the right time.

Are the Studios concerned about the cost of authoring a DTS CSS disc ?
I am told the cost of doing so is too small by any standards.

Are the Studios concerned over whether these CSS discs could be secured by pirates ?
I wonder if this is not an excessive phobia that deserves to be treated like any other.

Finally, all I want is a simple DTS CSS disc of T3. Can anybody help me get it ?

Does anybody here think I should talk to Mr.Jeff Blake himself about this ? Well, this thought has come to my mind several times and the only thing that holds me from doing so is this - what if Mr.Jeff Blake is himself unable to get me this CSS Disc ? Like they say, hope is a good thing and if I am not even allowed to hope....

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving to Film Handla's Forum.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-28-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of our CSS disks that come in have the "Mopix" label on them. We must be on a list somewhere because the disks are typically CD-Rs, and arrive either with the print, or via courier just prior to the film's opening. And they're usually preceeded by an email telling us that they're coming. DTS told me that the disks are prepared by WGBH. Try contacting the folks here. They may be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Mark

Kamakshipalya Dhananjay
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Email Kamakshipalya Dhananjay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark J.Marshall. I just wrote to them and wait for their response.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: