Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Downloaded DS3, now what? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Downloaded DS3, now what?
Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2003 03:00 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded the DS3.iso.gz file, but do not know what to use to tare it apart into the files the DTS player wants. I tried burning it onto a CD but the DTS player does not know what to do with it. I tried to open it in my computer, but the computer just askes me what program I want to open it with. Help!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-27-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Use WinZip or equivalent to unzip the contents. In there is an "image" file of the DS3 disc. Open up Nero or Adaptec burning software and select to burn the disc "from image". (In Nero this is under the FILE menu.) Then burn away.

Thanks to dts for letting us offer that and to John Hawkinson for creating the image.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't unzip it, it tells me that it doesn't appear to be a valid archive, and I should download it again.
I'll give that a go and see what happens.

Nope still doesn't want to know!

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-28-2003 08:42 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are you using to download the file Pete?

I haven't been able to successfully download a file with Opera without it being corrupted. Internet Explorer seems to work without fail.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting the same error message. When my download started it said that the file is 47 Megs. The download hit 47 Megs, and kept going to 77 Megs. By the way I am using the microsoft crap.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it G-zipped? Is regular Zip technology not good enough? How big is the file without zipping?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-28-2003 10:15 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, a CD can hold upwards of 650MB but I haven't been able to uncompress this thing yet either.
It is not, apparently, 47MB. IE gets a file size of 47 when the download starts, and it gets to 99% at 46 and a bit then just stays at 99% while the download continues until 77.3MB at completion.
Windows doesn't know what to do with the gzip file, but suggests a few programs to download.

Is there an MD5 sum for the ISO file included in the compressed archive?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2003 10:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will try downloading it and posting an uncompressed ISO file.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2003 10:42 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK The download was only 47.6 megs as advertised. But after un-gzipping it the file is indeed 77.3 megs.

Download the uncompressed ISO HERE

Then burn to CD with Nero.

PS - I've seen CDs that can hold over 850 Megs. 99 minute CDs hold, well 990 Megs since each minute of music is approximately 10 megs.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-28-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe--if it holds 99 minutes' worth of music, then it isn't a CD. Just because it is round and shiny and happens to play in some devices which are sold as "CD players" doesn't mean that it conforms to the red book specificiation for the compact disk format. Thus, it can't be guaranteed to play in all players, as many won't play extra-long disks.

gzip is a freely available compression scheme which is designed to be useful on a wide variety of computing platforms.

For those using cdrecord on Unix or Unix-like machines, something like this should work (substitute the SCSI ID of your CD burner and appropriate speed and driver options): cdrecord -v speed=12 dev=0,6,0 driveropts=burnproof -data DS3.iso

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott - The audio files that burn to the 99 minute CD are the same as those that burn to a 74 minute CD. Very few burners can create them, but most players I've seen will play all 99 minutes without problem, old and new. Actually I have yet to see a player NOT play the 99 minute CDs. No compression. All files are your standard 16-bit stereo 44.1khz audio. By saying it is not a CD, then you must also say that an 80 minute disc is not a CD, since the original spec only allotted 74 minutes.

So yes, it's a CD. Just not one you are used to.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2003 02:21 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried Opera and IE without success, got exactly what Bruce described. I've just set it going on Joes version, so we'll see what happens.

UPDATE:

Joe's version works just fine. Cheers Joe!

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-29-2003 02:39 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything that matches the physical properties of the CD is a CD. If it does not match the parameters set down for the Audio-CD, then it is not an Audio-CD in the classical sense, but it still is a CD.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-29-2003 03:29 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-29-2003 05:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd, the file opened just fine for me with WinZip and burned perfectly. I'll do a normal zip file and replace it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: