Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Excessive Humidity (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Excessive Humidity
William Dickson
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for William Dickson   Email William Dickson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently the air conditioners in our booth are not working properly. This morning when I came in it was well over 80 degrees and I would guess the humidity to be above 80%. You could definitely feel the moisture in the air. Recently we have had two brain wraps where the film going into the control plate pulls the next piece of film into the control plate with it. We have Christie AW3s. Could this be caused by excessive humidity? The film does seem to feel a little sticky. Is there a way to check excessive humidity like there is to check low humidity by taping a piece of film on the wall? Also, does anyone know anything about California's law regarding comfortable work environment temps? It averages between 90 and 95 degrees in the booth for most of the day.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 03:15 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very high humidity can indeed make the film physically "sticky", and actually may generate static (more charge is generated when stuck together surfaces separate -- open a "Band-Aid" in the dark if you want to see static discharge). Moist film emulsion is also softer, and more likely to scratch or leave hardened deposits in the gate.

Hanging a short strip of print film in the air is a quick (but not very accurate) test of proper humidity. The strip of film should ideally have just a slight amount of "positive" curl, where it cups slightly with the emulsion side at the bottom of the "cup".

If the A/C is poor, consider the purchase of a dehumidifier to get the relative humidity down to the recommended range of 50 to 60 percent RH. Use an accurate digital humidity gauge, available at Radio Shack or Edmund Scientific for around $20 US.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-25-2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
open a "band aid" in the dark if you want to see static discharge
Other Mr. Wizard-style fun: Wintergreen LifeSavers spark when they break. You can see it in the dark, when you bite into them. Try it!

And CoffeeMate-brand creamer will explode if you throw some in the air and light it!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-25-2003 03:40 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And CoffeeMate-brand creamer will explode if you throw some in the air and light it!

Airborne dust explosions have resulted in many deaths:

http://members.aol.com/powderfax/page003.htm

http://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/5174.html

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2003 07:20 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh...I'd better vacuum under the bed. [Eek!]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-25-2003 07:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Airborne dust explosions have resulted in many deaths:
It has something to do with what's in it, because other creamers won't burn -- only CoffeeMate.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-25-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually it has to do with surface area and ignition point... a material that is "finely divided" like sawdust.

Baking flour, corn starch, are other "explosive" materials.

>>> Phil

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SH**

No more smoking in the kitchen

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-26-2003 07:24 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So Tim, what other hobbies do you have?

quote:
Very high humidity can indeed make the film physically "sticky", and actually may generate static
John, how about static being generated in very dry rooms? Because the layers become harder and there is more friction?

Mat Fleming
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 08:22 AM      Profile for Mat Fleming   Email Mat Fleming   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At last a thread my science knowledge is up to.

Try these -
Whacking a sugar cube with a hammer in the dark makes a pretty cool blue flash.
Wiring a pickled gerkins into mains electricity makes it glow.
- but don't sue me if you get electrocuted please.
[Eek!]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-26-2003 09:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very dry conditions lower the conductivity of the gelatin emulsion, since there is less moisture in it.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
90-95 degree temps. ar not good for electornic equipment either. You could be shortening the life of your sound equipment.

Try this: sometimes a surge or a quick power outage will cause the compressor to draw a lot of current, and trip the braker. Look for a triped braker. It will be halfway inbetween on and off. You must turn it off first, then turn it back on. My guess is that it will be a two or three gang braker. Often, there are also fuses in a box somewhere near the compressor unit, check those as well, but make sure the power is off to the compressor unit first!

If all else fails, tell your cheep-idiot boss he is about to have some very expensive equipment repair bills, in addition to fixing the A/C.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-27-2003 10:24 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our recording studio and in the network equipment room we keep A/C running 24/7 and bring the temp down to 65 degrees. It's even pretty cold for some human beings, but we don't give a rats butt about how comfortable they are, as long as the equipment is happy. We've even taken to putting up a sign saying, "STOP WHINING AND PUT ON A SWEATER."

Talk about high humidity, the "booth" in the park has no heat or humidity control at all except a fan that does nothing but move the dripping, moist hot air thru it. For the past number of weeks in NY, it has been raining day in and day out. So far, we haven't had any prints sticking so badly that it threatened to become really problematic, but for some reason the estar base print ran much more noisely than the acetate.

Frank

John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems here in Las Vegas were it's dry most the time, being in the desert and all,we have had very humid conditions for the last week. During that time the booth has been "Sticky". I have noticed all 14 of my projectors have been wanting to double strike the lamps occasionally or even strike 4 to 6 times in a few cases. It's only when the humidity gets this high. This happens 1 or 2 times a year. What's up?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-28-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I have also seen temperature and humidity affect the performance of xenon lamps, such as the number of strikes it takes to light the lamp. I can understand temperature, but how does relative humidity affect a sealed environment (the lamp) in such a manner?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: