Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Polarity Checker Question

Author Topic: Polarity Checker Question
John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sent a Phase Checker called the "SMART-EZ POLARITY CHECKER" to check the wiring and installation of my speakers in the 14-Plex here in Las Vegas. So I complete the theater polarity checks and find the usual surround speaker not working here and there and a few speakers Out Of Phase .
My real question is the interesting thing I found in ALL theaters EXCEPT the 2 THX theaters. The Left, Center and Right Stage Horn on ALL theaters indicate the speaker is Out Of Phase . Could this be correct on 12 theaters? Or is this a monumental wiring screw-up? I can not seem to get an answer. We use a JBL 4675-8LF Stage Speakers.
I think all speakers should be In Phase like the THX theaters are indicating. Why are these different? Same speaker. And the reading was taken correctly. Only the Horn is reading different. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a possiblity teh crossover is set incorectly and a phase reversal is occuring there

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if the speaker system is not bi-amped and the crossovers are speaker mounted reverse the possative and negative speaker wires on the horn and see if that clears things up.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-22-2003 10:10 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The diaphrams may have been wired incorrectly inside the housing. Wouldn't be the first time.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the sound is reasonably OK and you're not planning on doing a B-chain alignment I would suggest not changing anything. During the original EQ some compensation may have been done and correcting the wiring might now make things sound bad.
Basically the audible effect is around the crossover frequency if all 3 screen channels are the same, there won't be the strangeness that results when the speakers are hooked up with no thought of polarity (it happens).
It's also possible that the tuner reversed all the horns on putrpose. The horn and bass bin aren't always connected with the same pressure polarity (I think that your JBL should be though, if the horn is mounted properly). If I see a nasty spectrum bump in the screen channels at the crossover frequency, I try reversing the horns - although all drivers have been checked with the clicker and are supposedly correct. Sometimes that's the way it sounds (and looks on the RTA) best.

John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2003 01:03 AM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The crossovers are in a DCM-1 and I plan to do a B-Chain as soon as the issue is resolved. I just find it hard to belive that JBL could mis-wire 36 speakers.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-23-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do recall something with JBL speakesr systems back in the mid 90's when we were installing speakers in a new theater here locally. We had to wire the polarities in revers because they had them labled backwards.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: