Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » N3 IREM Rectifier (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: N3 IREM Rectifier
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-22-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the diodes are in backwards. The cathodes of the diodes are grounded and the center taps of the star winding are connected to the anode of the xenon bulb. Are my eyes failing me or my mind? Or, am I missing something? Or, is the bulb polarity a missprint?

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 11:51 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is the rectifier I'm thinking of...
all diodes are reverse polarity.
nothing is grounded, the heatsink is isolated.
The circuit is unusual to our non-Italian minds but it works quite well.
I have much more trouble trying to understand the boost circuit!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh....please forgive the ignorance, but how can a diode be reverse polarity? I've been trying to figure this circuit out for days, and I just can't understand how it can work with the diodes drawn the way they are. (I have a Big Sky manual in my possesion, and the Irem manual is on this site.)

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-23-2003 01:49 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, on that boost circuit....Join the crowd. I never did figure that thing out.

As far as reverse polarity on the diodes, that may be true. But the cathodes are all grounded in the IREM roadmap I was looking at, including the bulb's anode. The center tap of the star was feeding the positive side of the bulb.

I think either the doides are drawn incorrectly or the polarity of the bulb is reversed for some reason. I wonder if the Italians used the theory that current flows from positive to negative...as some colleges teach.

[ 07-23-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-23-2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused as to why yous are confused. By looking at the N3 schematic on this site, it is a straight-forward "negative" power supply. The center taps are the "+" terminal and the diode anodes are the "-" terminal. The diodes are shown correctly.

BTW: The boost ckt is also correct.

I agree that most PS are a "positive" configuration, but there is nothing wrong with the schematic.

>>> Phil

-

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-23-2003 08:43 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many apologies....My tri-focals have deceived me. When I orginally glanced at the schematic of the N3G3 IREM, somehow I saw the cathodes of the diodes tied to the cathode of the xenon lamp. I am still wondering how I saw that incorrectly. Bad eyeballs strike again. [Embarrassed]

The diodes and the bulb are correct in that schematic.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2003 02:45 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I am glad you understand how it works, but I still do not! Please help!

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, just think of it as a SERIES circuit and that current flows in one direction meaning that it doesn't matter which side the diode is in as long as it gives you the correct flow of current. Personally I like my rectifiers and pass transisters on the plus or supply side myself as I have trouble understanding some of those backwards circuits myself.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-23-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, maybe this will help.  -

Remember there is phase reversal from one side of the secondary with reference to the other side. The center tap is common to them both. Above is basically what IREM is doing, now all you have to do is add the other 4 doides and secondary windings of the star transformer. The capacitors across the diodes are RF suppression capacitors. As you can see, the power supply is not referenced to ground. The capacitor on the negative end of the bulb is a .022 mfd at 1500 volts. It is another RF suppression capacitor, and not a filter capacitor. The filter capacitor is not shown on my diagram. It is connected across the RA unit as the schematic shows in the manual. The circuit designation of the filter capacitor is C7.

Remember the diodes do not conduct when the cathodes are driven positive with respect to the anode.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-23-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Below is what I earlier emailed Ken, While not as elegant as Paul's diagram…yous get the gist. It's a simple 1/2 - wave explanation.

The arrows represent "conventional current flow."

Also, Sam's suggestion is excellent.

>>> Phil

-

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-23-2003 08:33 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, I think Phil's explanation will also help you. If you still have problems understanding it, please let us know. [Wink]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-24-2003 07:37 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Links to some on-line tutorials on power supply design:

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/index.htm

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/27.htm

http://www.tpub.com/neets/book7/27b.htm

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/RAdelkopf/rect.htm

http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?18

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2003 01:27 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links, John. I think I am beginning to understand it. I learned about half-wave, full-wave, and bridge rectifiers back in school, but we did not study negative supplies. Below is a diagram of a full wave rectifier similar to that shown in my text book. So I guess the only difference between that and what Irem is doing is that the Irem supply is negative? Am I correct?

-

So now I still don't understand something: why are the center taps connected to the bulb? In the circuit above, the center tap is grounded. That is the only use of a center tap that I am familiar with.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-24-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The centre tap does not have to be grounded. But it is the low reference to the two outside windings But it doesn't have to be actually grounded

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-24-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, in your diagram:

1) Draw a line between the xmfr center tap and the bottom of the load resistor.

2) Erase both "ground" references.

3) Replace the load resistor with a xenon lamp…ANODE at the top.

That's a basic " positive ", full-wave, xenon supply.

Remember the "grounds" indicate a common connection, not necessarily an earth or chassis ground.

NOW:

1) Reverse the diodes.

2) Invert the xenon lamp... CATHODE at the top.

That's a basic " negative ", full-wave, xenon supply.

>>> Phil

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: