Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CNR platter

Author Topic: CNR platter
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 04:16 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

Almost all of my platter has the last roller that guide the print out of the platter that follow the print in this way:
 -

I realize that the piece of iron that keep the roller is soft, I bended just a bit this piece of iron so that the print exit from the core in this way:
 -

Is it correct? Did I do the right thing? [Smile]

More, my core are not the "new" ones with "ball" bearing. How damn I can clean that stupid thing? They're so heavy that usually they do not move. I do not think that any kind of oil can help... Suggestions?

Bye!
A

|  IP: Logged

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 03:03 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that exact problem with our cake stands. I didn't bend the roller just in case I made it eccentric, i.e. that it doesn't rotate freely - In that case I thought it would do more damage to the film. But it looks like yours is working well.

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 09:50 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find the same thing happens on the feeders i run.
But if you clean the feeder roller shafts once a week, the rollers rotate freely and so does the captive plastic roller.
Dont see it doing any harm to prints at all with the strange angle. But if the rollers stop, i can see the digital sound track possibly being affected.
Might try doing the bend thing on a spare feeder though.

Looking at the cinemeccanica feeder data, the captive roller should be straight to the roller.

Darren

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-22-2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's if the captive roller stops rotating that you're really in trouble because with the soundtrack at the top (as in Antonio's pic), the emulsion side of the Dolby digital track will be abrading against the roller's upper flange.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
If the rollers don't turn freely, probably dirt or solidified lubricant is the cause. If the rollers lift off their shafts easily, wipe the shafts and clean the roller holes with a cotton swab dipped in solvent. If they are hard to remove, I'd squirt or spray a few drops of solvent or penetrating oil between the shafts and rollers, rotating them by hand. Make sure to wipe up any drips. [Test your solvent on a spare roller to make sure the nylon or plastic roller is resistant to it.]
Check the manual to see if lubrication is advised. If so, use only a couple of drobs of non-gumming light oil.
'Bye,--Gerard

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2003 06:39 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone.

I've take this thread from the history because I can't find out the way to have that damn roller spinning regularly. I'm talking about iron ones, not plastic ones. They're so heavy that it's almost impossible to have them rotating.

Do you have any suggestions?

Bye
A

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: