Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Quickermittent" availability (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Quickermittent" availability
Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 08:22 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading about Kodak's "Quickermittent" a year ago, that used a new starwheel profile to increase acceleration leading to substantial improvement in light efficiency.

Can it now be ordered as an option from most projector manufacturers? Using this, coupled with faster lenses, must make three-bladed shutters more viable.

It's always good to see improvements in film technology [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one has adopted which is too bad

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 10:06 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak "Quickermittent" is still available for licensing. Christopher DuMont led the Enhanced Theatrical Experience (ETE) team that developed and patented it, as well as the new, more efficient lamphouse with greatly improved uniformity. Kodak's Dave Kirkpatrick was the inventor of the "Quickermittent".

Addendum:

The Kodak paper "Design Improvements for Motion Picture Film Projectors" was published in the November 2001 SMPTE Journal (Volume 110, pages 785-791).

The Kodak patent for the "Quickermittent" is Patent No. 6,183,087 , issued on February 6, 2001. Enquiries for licensing opportunities are welcomed (Kodak is not currently in the business of making 35mm or 70mm film projectors or components).

[ 07-21-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: John Pytlak ]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 08:44 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! It's a shame there's been no take-up but I guess these things take time.

John, I'll locate a copy of that Journal - thanks for the details.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-26-2003 11:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I wonder how much it is to liscense it..... Any ideas or info on this John P.?
Mark @ CLACO

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-26-2003 03:57 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, as that's usually negotiated. But I can certainly forward any requests to license the technology to the appropriate people at Kodak.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-26-2003 04:02 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not surprised no one has taken up the idea. If they would give us ways to optimize the light output, then we could buy smaller >>>less expensive xenons. But that is where they make the money.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-28-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you could always use the extra light to IMPROVE quality (better uniformity, three-blade shutter, more depth of focus, etc.). [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-28-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John is right, and that's how I'd like to see it used. But I imagine that if any projectors offered the Quickermittent that it'd be known when the theater owner does the purchase. And he'll probably decide to purchase lower wattage lamphouses. Now retrofitting existing theaters would be an entirely different story.

Maybe it is the name "Quickermittent" that is turning manufacturers off. It sounds stupid. Of course here I am without a better sounding name so I guess I shouldn't speak. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-29-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee.... American manufacturers can BARELY still make usable stars and cams.... How on earth could we turn out any decent quickermittents......?
Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-30-2003 04:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe different Americans are building the silly-named "Quickermittent".

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Kodak was still in the projector business (we made the fabled EASTMAN Model 25 and Model 30 professional 16mm projectors), we'd be tempted to tool up for making the "Quickermittent" parts. [Cool]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-30-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I like the name "Quickermittent". It has a catchy ring to it like "Fruit Loops" and "Obsolete".

OH, Ummmm... with apologies to John, to paraphrase another post... [evil]

---Only "die-hards" claim 70+ year-old film technology is preferable to today's hard-disk readers and video projection. If so, let's go back to vacuum cathode ray tubes while we're at it.---

It is pretty archaic to mechanically pull plastic with pictures on it in a start & stop fashion so why invest in a dying technology?

It's worked great for all them years, why f*ck with it?

OBTW: I'm a film guy…with video tendencies. [beer]

>>> Phil

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-30-2003 06:08 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Phil wrote about film:

quote:
It's worked great for all them years, why f*ck with it?

Because it can be made even better at much less cost than the alternatives. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2003 09:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If so, let's go back to vacuum cathode ray tubes while we're at it.---"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: