Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kodak Ektagraphic III slide tray trouble

Author Topic: Kodak Ektagraphic III slide tray trouble
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 03:04 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a problem with a Kodak Ektagraphic III slide projector. Whats happening is sometimes the tray hangs up and won't rotate. I can hear it trying to move but its as though something is holding it in place. Then all of a sudden it will move and work for a little while longer then hang again. Anyone ever hear of something like this?
John

I should add that this happens either with a slide in the gate or without.

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it sound like it's grinding? If so, the clutch cam is dry and needs lubrication. I use a needlepoint oiler with Brenkert projector oil to do it. Only a couple of drops are needed.

William H. Ward
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for William H. Ward   Email William H. Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems that either or both the INDEX and DIRECTION levers need cleaned, lubed and re-adjusted and/or replaced. Also could be the cams have slipped and your timing is off. Solution: remove cam, disassemble, clean/lube, check for wear on the nylon surfaces. Replace if it's worn out or put it back together, re-install and hope that fixes it. Check your repair manual for the slot in first nylon cam that the adjacent metal piece fits into. I think it's the middle one of the bunch. Have Fun.....This stuff is a little tricky if you've never done it. [Cool]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-31-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the users manual:

Kodak Ektagraphic III Users Manual

And repair manual:

Kodak Ektagraphic III Repair Manual

(Section 3 covers lubrication)

And support information:

Kodak Slide Projector Support

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2003 07:52 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running the same slide projector but the problem isnt the slide tray its the dark shutter. It'll drop down fine but when the slide drops in the shutter takes a long time to close and it sounds like a baseball card in a bicycle tire (bad analogy?). I lube the cam w/ 3 in 1. It helped for about a week and now it up to the same thing. I'm running low on ideas I got all the manuals (thanks John) But I have not the experience. Any help would great.

Joshua Burnham

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-21-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall there was a special lube for the cam. Sort of a light grease. Maybe a bit of vaseline or Century gear lube would work well if you can't get the original.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 11:46 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joshua,
Many projectionists will not use 3-in-1 oil in the booth because it gums up when exposed to heat, from a lamp or friction.
That can compound the problem, requiring removal of the gummed lubricant with a solvent or penetrating oil, and then the use of a professional non-gumming lubricant, like those recommended.
Ektographic lamps throw considerable heat, and their cooling systems should be kept free of dust and lint buildup.
Gerard

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2003 03:01 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing that you are using 140 slot trays instead of the standard 80. What you might try is to rotate the trays among other slide projectors (though I think you've already done this) I know it sounds half-assed, but it will narrow down as to if your machines are worn out or the tray itself is shot. Trays can wear out too and it doesn't take long for some of them to go.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-21-2003 04:10 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 80-slide trays are much less likely to jam if you have warped, bent, or worn slide mounts. They can also handle glass mounted slides when using flat field lenses.

Joshua Burnham
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Joshua Burnham   Email Joshua Burnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone thanks for all your replies. I talked to our tech last monday and he brought to my attention to most of the components in the ektagraph are self lubricating which mean any outside oils would just attract dirt. So I cleaned out all the oil that I applied & let it be. Fortunaly its still under warranty so its all taken care of. For the record I also switcthed to a product called tri-flow im testing out oils to see which I prefer. So no more 3 in 1 for me! Furthermore I am also running the 80 caruosel slide tray and im positive that the tray isnt the problem. Well anyways just wanted to say thank you in helping solve this matter. thank you greatly,
Joshua Burnham

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: