Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weird trailer for "Secondhand Lions" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Weird trailer for "Secondhand Lions"
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Pirates of the Caribbean" today, a scope film. Attached was a trailer for "Secondhand Lions". The image for the trailer filled the scope screen. But: Everything looked too skinny. I don't see how this is possible. If they accidently showed a flat trailer with the scope lens, then everybody would look too fat. I don't see what circumstance would make everybody look too skinny. Has anyone else noticed anything odd about this trailer? I should add that it only looks slightly skinny.... not like, for example, running a scope trailer with a flat lens.

Jeff Joseph

SabuCat Productions

|  IP: Logged

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it looked wierd too.. maybe they messed something up? I double checked the trailer tag and it said scope for sure.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 01:26 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one we've been running seems to be ok, although I haven't taken more than a cursory glance at it...odd.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 05:16 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this trailer on "Pirates" for the first time tonight and it looked squeezed for a "scope" trailer. Somebody screwed up again!!!!!

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film was shot Super-35 1.85. We have been doing the double-system screenings here in NYC.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The film was shot Super-35 1.85. We have been doing the double-system screenings here in NYC.

Not too many films have used Super-35 for 1.85:1 features ("Godfather Part III", "Fisher King", etc.), but the increased image area should result in improved graininess and sharpness. If the recentering/reformatting is done at the master-positive to duplicate-negative stage on a pin-registered printer, steadiness should also be improved.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 01:25 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does "double system screening" mean?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What does "double system screening" mean?

The soundtrack is on a separate media, interlocked with the projector.

Brett Rankin
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Brett Rankin   Email Brett Rankin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why aren't all 1.85 films shot Super-35?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why aren't all 1.85 films shot Super-35?

It requires at least one stage to be optically printed, or use "Digital Intermediate", so the extra quality comes at increased cost/time.

Many television shows are shot in Super-35, often 3-perf pulldown, for eventual showing in both 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios -- transfers of Super-35 and 3-perf are widely available from film-to-video transfer labs.

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So my question is still: What's up with this trailer? I'm just never seen anything like it...

Jeff

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-21-2003 05:43 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the only purpose of Super 35 was so that anamorphic films could be made without the need for an anamorphic lens on the camera. I thought that the image was filmed with a 3-perf pulldown and the image was filmed with a spherical lens the width of the 35mm frame, then later optically printed to the height of the 4-perf frame and 2x compressed for standard scope prints. ???

How the heck would this work for 1.85?

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 05:44 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jeff.
Why does the trailer look squeezed even though we're playing it in scope, which is how the trailer band was marked.
Any links John.
Thanks. [Eek!]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 09:47 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, the fact you say the trailer is only slightly squeezed leads one to wonder if this isn't some digital transfer problem.

I ran a trailer of a flat film a couple a years ago where the production company had posted the trailer digitally, but by mistake transferred a squeezed version back to film.

Anamorphic video techniques are quite common in post-production, and are used to optimise resolution - even with "flat" film images as we know them. I won't go into the details here - I'm sure someone else could explain it more succinctly!

It's also the case that more and more trailers are being done digitally and scanned back onto film - enabling e.g. Rick McCallum to memorably declare that each copy of the Star Wars Ep II trailers was (almost) an original! (No dupe negs).

(On the other hand, maybe "Secondhand Lions" is just a long overdue breakthrough for tall, thin actors [Big Grin] )

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-21-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adam, most Super 35 feature films are still shot with 4-perf cameras. While Super 35 usually means extracting a 2.39:1 segment and making Scope format prints it is in fact possible to shoot any format in Super 35. It only refers to using the full silent width of the film so a later optical (or digital) transfer will reduce the size of the image and recenter it to clear the soundtrack area. You can do it with 1.85 and 1.66 and naturally you can shoot full frame silent 1.33 and reduce it to Academy 1.37 -- perhaps the original Super 35!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: