Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Aperture Plate Issue

Author Topic: Aperture Plate Issue
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, I'd like to open this thread by expressing my absolute disgust for the response to this issue by the management team of the theatre in which I work. As of the 2nd show this afternoon, there was a large dark band on the right hand side of the screen covering from the edge to about 1 meter into the screen. The managers response to this issue was "oh it's not that bad" and instead of calling a technician figured it could wait until the General Manager worked again on Monday. Monday, can you believe it. That's a minimum of 7 shows with a giant piece missing from the picture. When I arrived at 6 to start work, tonight as an usher, it was brought to my attention so I looked at it and was completely stumped. I'm hoping someone can help me out as I couldn't respect myself if I let this continue. Here's the scoop as it's been told to me and as I've observed it...

First, we're running a Simplex Millennium with a dual aperture configuration. The print running at the moment is Flat.

The first show ran perfectly according to the projectionist that worked today. The problem was only from the 2nd show on.
Upon closer inspection it was discovered that the aperture plate was offset horizontally so that it was cutting off part of the frame. I tried to move the aperture plate by hand but it was already as far out as it could go. I tried switching from flat to scope and back again but the alignment was uneffected. Has anyone encountered this problem before and more importantly, does anyone know how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I still can't believe they were going to leave it until Monday. Inconceivable.

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I read your post correctly you are saying that the screen is blank or dark on the right side. If so pulling the plate out will not correct the problem. The plate has to push inward. Did you check to make sure that the screw that holds the plate into position has not gotten loose. If it gets loose enough the plate will go past its stop position a bit causing what you have described.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 01:59 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the projector from the front, the plate is too far to the right. The mechanism that moves the aperture plate is as far left as it can go. I know what you mean though. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow again.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 02:12 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the thing is that if the plate is to far inward. torwards the inboard of the projector you would be getting darkness on the screen image on the left side with some spill over on the right. if it was to far outward you would get darkness on the screen on the right and spillover on the left with probable timecode and soundtrack hitting the wall.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 10:07 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, you remind me of ME everyday when I'm running around the booth trying to figure out why stuff is still broken years after I report them to the managers.! [Big Grin] Its entirely fustrating and embarrassing to the Projectionist, because the audience is thinking that the Projectionist is the one thats the idiot. [Mad]

Anyway as Darryl said check the screw it may be loose. Also find out if that aperature plate is even in correctly. Or if it was ever replaced cause it might be the wrong size.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a problem like that once and the culprit was the stop screw on the turret. It loosened and sent the entire picture off-center on the screen. I'm not familiar with the Simplex, but Christies with turrents can do that.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-20-2003 10:36 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure that the issue is with the aperture plate and not with the masking? It's probably worth pulling the plate out completely to ensure that the picture really does fill the width of the screen and that the masking is adjusted properly.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-20-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The interesting thing that he mentions in his original post is that everything was fine the first show. It depends on the type of turret version for the stop screw issue. If it is the newer version that you open and close by hand that is not as big an issue as the ones that open electronically.

Michael West
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 11:28 AM      Profile for Michael West   Author's Homepage   Email Michael West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
greg;

having the same type of projector and from what you have described i would agree that the aperture adjustment is out and if that is the case, at the aperture 6 cm below the strap tension knob a 5/64" (very small) hex key will adjust this to the left or right. and/or depending on the lens turret that can also be adjusted. or it could be masking if it moves side to side. or in the more extreme case the projector was knocked out of place.
hope i helped!

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys for your input. A technician was called in today and fixed it. As it turns out it wasn't the aperture plate at all. From what the day time projectionist described one of the spring loaded film runners came loose at the bottom of the trap and sprung over covering part of the aperture. I guess I'll have to look a little closer next time. Thanks again.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: