Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DP70 disassembly

Author Topic: DP70 disassembly
Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 02:16 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tomorrow is DP70 day for me - I have to disassemble and store two DP70s. Now I read all the DP70 forum threads and also got some advice from friends that amounts to this:

- Sound flywheels in both mag and optical readers should be removed before lifting the projector head so the shafts cannot bend.

- It take four men to lift the heaviest DP70 components. Don try it with less.

- Mark all the internal wiring or it will be hard to get it connected again.

I also downloaded the DP70/AAII manuals from FT and checked the installation procedure.

To all that fine engineers, operators and DP70 fans out there:
If you have more good advice regarding the disassembling procedure - I`d appreciate it!

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advice:

Take pictures!

Put those small parts and screws in labeled bags also, so you know what goes where when time to put it back together. [thumbsup]

Danny

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-19-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From experience book a visit to the chiropractor for the next day [Big Grin]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 04:26 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing.... simple and no offence intended, mark everything clearly as to which projector it belongs to.

It's so obviouse but it is often forgotten... do it NOW as on the day it's too late once you've got all the bits on the floor.

I've had the horrible experience of working with five FP20's that had been mixed and matched... happy to say I got rid of them in the end.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could add to that, the one I moved was just TWO of us and had no reel problems (no stairs) and this was moved in two trips in back of an Citreon BX Estate car,I would remove the complete sound heads both mag and opt and make sure the mech has been drained of oil before moving and wear Steel Cap boots/Gloves and a good sack truck or a wheeled platform.

One day I will post some pictures of the DP70 move to my small flat:)

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 08:54 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rent or borrow an engine hoist. Seriously. The kind with wheels on the bottom so you can pick the DP70 parts up and move them around. At the same time get some wide lifting straps. With that tool you can work slowly and precisely and carefully
Do take off the analog head, but I wouldn't take off the mag head, just the fly wheels. The reason being that there is a gasket under the mag head and if you take the mag head off you will most likely tear it. Then you have to replace it. Just take the back off and pull off those heavy fly wheels.
Take off the motor(s). The arc lamp table. The feed reel arm. Then the heavy projection head part. The rest you can move as one unit.
Use your engine hoist and dangle a chain down through the hole where the takeup drive rod goes down through. You can pick up the whole she-bang from there.
My wife and I have moved mine a few times with just us and an engine hoist. It really pays to spend the money on it
Good luck

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-19-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rent or borrow an engine hoist.
Since Frankfurt is where a huge airport is through which many illegal immigrants come to the European Union, Christian should have no problem just hiring 6-8 cheap pairs of hands from the area downtown around the train station.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that although 4 guys could pick the pieces up, it's getting them all around that heavy projection head in a position where they can all get to it at once. Then they all have to move in unison to somewhere where they can all set it down in unison. It's really quite scary. If only one of the guys loses his grip, the party is over. That's why I strongly suggest to anyone that moves a Norelco that they use the engine hoist. Let hydraulics do the heavy work and save your back, fingers and toes. Not to mention your Norelco

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 04:02 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normally I claim, a bachelor's life is nice, but now Greg has for the first time stated the very reason for being married.

Single white male (not in the habit of using vacuum pumps or ball stretchers) seeks single white female film-freak, no hamsters, well fit with good arm- and thigh muscles.

Apply Box EL 4001.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-20-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"From experience book a visit to the chiropractor for the next day"

"Rent an Engine hoist"

Neither is necessary. Buy a case of beer and offer it to a foursome of street people for moving the equipment out of the booth and onto your truck. [thumbsup]
Mark @ CLACO

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 02:42 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness! Such bribery !

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 02:59 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The worst part to move a DP70 is the Middle Base, even with the spool shaft removed and the back cover left off, still not easy to move as what do you hold on to carry?, and the motor switch always seams to be at risk if you knock the base against something.

Hope the move went ok and not ended up in A&E! [beer]

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 06:46 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian:

Were these the two "Around the World" DP's?
Patch them from me and make sure, they have a nice home.
Hope, the removal went well !

p.

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you!

It went slow, but well. One machine is ready for transport, the second one will be done Wednesday.

It was the looney-tune-type wiring in the base that slowed us down. How I hate those [puke] idiot UFA theatre technicians, never saw such a messed up wiring in any film projector! And whoever converted the carbon lamphouse to xenon, it`s a miracle that no projectionist got electrocuted during the last three decades. What a way to run a railroad!

But who cares - all mechanical parts inside look like new and we had no trouble.

And IMHO, Greg is absolutely right. The problem with the projector head problem is not that weight, but the lack of parts for four guys to hold those 210 pounds.

When we took off the projector head, we couldn`t avoid taking a bow to the wise engineers who designed the DP70.
Greg is right. Next time I`ll blast off the roof and get a helicopter.

Ben - are you related to the Incredible Hulk or how did you do it? [Eek!]

Again, thanks to all for your support!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: