Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony Software on Windows XP

Author Topic: Sony Software on Windows XP
Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 04:45 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has any one been able to get the sony software "DSP" to work in XP? I wonder if we could get someone to hack the software to allow it to access the ports?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-15-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is Windows XP which does not allow any software to access any of the hardware ports directly. So you would have to hack Windows.
Which processor do you want to work with?
There is an XP version of the setup software for the 2500/3000.
If you need to work with the setup software for 1000/2000, you have to install Windows 98, then it works.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 05:28 PM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It is Windows XP which does not allow any software to access any of the hardware ports directly. So you would have to hack Windows.
Windows 9x was supposed to do this also. A program can crash, but your system keeps on running though Windows 9x wasn't very good at it... [Roll Eyes]
Windows XP is totally different of 9x. It's more compareble with Win2K or NT (it is NT v5.1.2600 [Smile] )

You can try to set the compatibility mode of the program executable (.exe). Go to properties (of the file) and select the tab Compatibility. There you can select Windows 95.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-16-2003 12:34 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can try, but it won`t work.

Freddie Dobbs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for Freddie Dobbs   Email Freddie Dobbs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave the different imulations a try a while back, hey how about a program that used windows to access the ports that imulates the 98 port access?

Les Brock
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 07:20 AM      Profile for Les Brock   Author's Homepage   Email Les Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a program called VMware Workstation 3.

This allows Win98/95 to be run in a shell while your PC is running XP or WIN2000.

You dont need a dual boot system and when you have finished with the DFP2000 software you shut WIN98 down and your XP / WIN2K is still runnning.

The website is www.vmware.com I believe you can download evaluation software.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Les,

Is there any reason I've been unable to obtain 50m cables for the R3000 readers? What Sony has sent now three times are VGA cables (15-pin HD).

Steve

Les Brock
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Les Brock   Author's Homepage   Email Les Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

I have never seen a 50m cable on inventory but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I will check with our spares people here and email you.

Les.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-22-2003 09:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please do! I have an immediate need for 6 of them!

Thanks a bunch.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-22-2003 09:43 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You dont need a dual boot system and when you have finished with the DFP2000 software you shut WIN98 down and your XP / WIN2K is still runnning.
That sounds very promising - will it also work with a USB-to-serial adapter?

Les Brock
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2003 11:52 AM      Profile for Les Brock   Author's Homepage   Email Les Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, I haven't tried that out.

With the USB adapter it may be more of an issue with the USB protocol rather than the operating system used.

Les.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: