Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about Brenkert Frame Adjust

Author Topic: Question about Brenkert Frame Adjust
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 10:40 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My BX80's framing adjustment is pretty hard to turn.
First off how tight should they be normally?
Second, what would be the major sources of problems in this area? I did find my Intermittant retainer climp was way too tight. I took care of that and that helped a great deal but the adjustment is still hard. It seems to have something to do with the shutter compensater unit being stiff. The adjustment is not really that hard to turn anymore but it is stiff to use at first and frees up a little after the initial use.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-14-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, either loosen up on the drag screw some more, or remove the intermittant and then see if the excessive binding goes away. If not, there is probably a binding somewhere in the compensator. If the bind is in the compensator, dismantling and cleaning might be in order. Beware, it can be a real "bear". If you dismantle it, you have a 20% chance of getting it put back together correctly in the first attempt. The taper pin hole alignment is what will screw you up. It will align only if the shaft position is correct. [Smile]

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 06:54 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are tuff to turn on my BX-40's, too. Long time ago I decided not to mess with them, for reasons Paul brings up! As long as I thread in frame (and splice in frame, too) I'm OK. [Wink]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 08:39 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those compensaters remind me of the insides of a vehical manual transmission. Of which I rebuilt one or two.
Yeah Jeff, I probably should leave it be but it bugs me so forward I must go.
Thanks!

P.S. Paul, still got that ORC lens?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-14-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, yes I do.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a drag adjustment at the top left as you're looking at the gear side. I fiddled with it on my BX80 and it helped, but basically, it's just tight...My BX40 is tight as well...they're just tight! You'd expect it to be as smoothe as silk on such a beautifully made machine, but it just isn't. The good thing is....it will never slip out of frame!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know you had a BX-40 also, John. That's great. [thumbsup]

I found an orphan BX-60 last fall in an out of biz theater in the southern part of the state. It's gonna get the once over later this summer or fall and hopefully I'll have it running this winter. Sure is fun to bring this machinery back to life.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It turns out I had tightened the intermittant retainer too much.
Reread the manual and adjusted accordingly.
Love my brenkerts, all 4 of them [Smile]
Now all I need is a RCA100.

P.S. Paul, did you get my last Email I sent you today?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 06:18 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, Sam...now all you need is a Cinerama screen!

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 05:05 PM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, yes an RCA 100 would be neat. The big glass door really lets you watch the film running through. Doesn't seem like there's too many of them on the inexpensive used market, though. [Mad]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they only make about 1500-1800 of those?
Oh well, one day I will find one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: