Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spy Kids 3-D (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Spy Kids 3-D
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody run this or seen this as yet?? It's anaglyphic (red/blue), not Polaroid. I'm told only the last 6-7 minutes is in 3-D. Just wondering how it looks, how the 3-D works, and so on...

Thanks,

Jeff

|  IP: Logged

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-13-2003 05:18 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and when should we expect to see the cases of glasses arriving at the theatre?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2003 06:10 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a thread over in ground leval called Questions about Spy Kids 3-D. Here is a quote from that thread by Bill Gabel.

quote:
The Hi-Def 3-D effects look very nice. Just finished a D5 test for Miramax. They say the film is about 80-90% 3-D. [[Wink]]

Robin Dorking
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 06:20 PM      Profile for Robin Dorking   Email Robin Dorking   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember a Freddy Kruger film (part 225 I think!! [Big Grin] ), with the last reel in 3D. Looked ok, but gave you a bit of a headache though. Can't see an audience watching 80% of a film in 3D, not with about 90% being kids. In the UK it has not been advertied in 3D yet.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-13-2003 07:01 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the compositions. I remember JAWS 3-D being easy on the eyes.

HOUSE OF WAX, was viewer-friendly too.

Of course, those were polarized which I'll agree is easier to deal with.

But based on the ads I've seen for SK3D I feel these are going to be momentary effects and not the entire movie. It'll be interesting to see if that's right.

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 08:01 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Children find it easier to watch 3D then adults as their muscules in their eyes are still younge and are able to converge on the images easier.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film runs well, as in the above post it is more than 3/4's in 3D. It's running time is 84 mins. 21 sec. & 15 frames.
I have 8 shows of this feature, this week.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 11:49 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen Spy Kids 3D, it is not at all what I had expected, it doesn't look that 3D to me at all. The 3D movies I've seen were Captian Eo, Some documentary film about Sharks, and Terminator 3D, those were all amazing. Characters and objects actually flew out the screen, and hung right in front your face! And this is what they sell the movie as being in the trailers. But Spy Kids isn't like that, it looks pretty much 2D to me to with some 3D effects, and I think most of it was due to my imagination. The 3D glasses are Red and Blue, and make everything look wierd, as if there are only 3 colors.

The glasses that I saw the other movies with were not blue and red, but a dark gray color.
I don't know how 3D movies work, but this movie looks mega cheap compared to what I've seen. And I dought Kids will fall in love with it.

BTW so far we've only recieved about 15 glasses! I don't know if more are coming.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 01:12 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick explaination of how 3D pictures work can be found on http://www.thelooniverse.com/movies/west/aspectratio/3D.html

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from Cambridge

The subject of 3-D movies is particularly topical at the moment. I have recently retrieved a batch of ParaVision lenses complete with alignment instructions and glasses from the library archives. I believe they were imported into the UK for the release of Friday the Thirteenth (part 3) in 3D and Jaws 3D and were donated to us by the ABC/Regal Cambridge after their use in 1983.

The system is based on the wave nature of light (as opposed to the particular nature of light, (Schrodinger et al), in which a light ray may be considered to consist of two sinusoidal waves oscillating at 90 degrees to each other. Polaroid filters (depending on orientation) are able to eliminate either of these waves, thus allowing each eye to 'see' separate images, depending on the plane of polarisation. To retain the polarisation of the reflected light, a silver screen is necessary. Projection of the image on to a matt or perlux surface causes the 3D effect to be lost, due to the de-polarisation effect. Examination of a ParaVision frame, such as those seen in Jaws 3D will reveal that each frame is divided into 2 separate images, each 2 perforations in height. The upper for one eye, and the lower for the other. The ParaVision lens is split down the middle and has adjustments to control focus and the convergence of the two images.

SpyKids 3D is indeed anaglyphic 3D, where the separate images for each eye are rendered in differing colours on the print. Thus using coloured filters eliminates information intended for the opposing eye. The system is crude, and reasonably effective, but not as efficient and as strain free as viewing polarised 3D images.

My team and I, as one of our ongoing projects, are developing a theatrical system for 3D which eliminates the patrons wearing glasses. Results thus far have been variable, but due to the Praelector and Bursar's recent round of financial constraints, the project has been placed very much in the 'pending' file.

Maybe I shall leave the project as something to work on in my retirement.

From Cambridge, and a financially crippled PG work group, good evening.

David

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-15-2003 01:53 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anaglyphic 3D is to a tub of rancid coolwhip as polaroid 3D is to fresh whipped cream.

Didn't the Russians develop an eyeglass-less 3D system sometime in the 70s that was based on reflective elements in the screen which directed each eye image in slightly different directions? From what I recall of the description of the system, it was marginally successful in that the patron had to keep his head perfectly oriented or he either lost the separation, or the more common problem, the images got reversed, i.e., left eye image going to the right eye and vice versa.

Frank

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 03:08 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats true, the Russians did do that, in the 1940s it was first demonstarted in a theatre built for the purpouse, using a Lenticular screen, the audience prefered to watch sharp, bright 3D images with glasses. There are Plasma TV sets avalible from Stereographics that allow you to watch 3D without glasses.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-15-2003 03:53 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the movie at our theatre in Chula Vista and found it quite effectful. (Tim, were you wearing the glasses the right way round?)
We played it on 2 screens, one in digital and one in 35mm. I found the effect worked slightly better with the digital system.
It takes place in a computer game (Like "Tron"). You can take off the goggles in the real-world scenes placed strategically in the movie to relieve the eyes.
I also found it very entertaining. I think it is going to be a great movie for kids.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original posted by Frank
"Anaglyphic 3D is to a tub of rancid coolwhip as polaroid 3D is to fresh whipped cream."

I'll have to agree with that statment. [thumbsup]

Mike,
Yes, I was wearing them the right way, I'm sure. I even reversed them to see if there was a difference. I watched the movie in Digital also. I guess since I was already familiar with Polaroid 3D, I didn't understand what I was supposed to be seeing with the anaglyphic 3D. Its just so different

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-15-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are not going to get that eye popping 3-D effect with anaglyphic imaging like you do with polarized imaging because it does not utilize the light throw back for the left and right eye. Basically it is just going to give you a 3 dementional feel and that is all.

One of the best utilizations of 3-D imaging that I saw was not in a movie but at a Kiss concert in 98. They had live stage shots and animations projected in 3-D. on huge screens. Worked really well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: