Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need Service For Eiki 16mm

Author Topic: Need Service For Eiki 16mm
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 04:26 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an Eiki 1510 xenon 16mm projector (about 30 years old) I purchased used. As far as I know it works just fine. But I would like to have it checked out and serviced if necessary as I plan to put it to some very heavy use. I have learned Eiki no longer services their own 16mm projectors. Does anyone know of a service company that would handle it?

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pop on over to the forums at www.film-center.com for more help, but KMR Electronics in Santa Ana, Calif is an authorized Eiki repair center and still has some Eiki parts.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 12:19 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Film Service in Montreal also has Eiki stuff. They'll answer the phone in Frence of course, but when you identify yourself they will speak English. They've helped me a couple times.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2003 09:31 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that Eiki not only doesn't service these machines, they no longer even provide parts support. Don't dispair, however, as the belts are standard Grainger or McMaster items, Superior Quartz has just cloned the Ushio lamp (350w, but your rectifier can handle it fine--even Eiki was substituting them at the end), and most of the mechanical components are common with early IAV incandescent machines. John Whittle on 16mmfilms.com is an invaluable resource if you get stuck.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I'll check 'em out.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a talk with Robert at Robert Film Service in St. Laurent, Quebec and he informed me he had reconditioned the machine before he sold it to me and it shouldn't need servicing and should stand up to heavy use very well. He's also going to supply me with a 'scope attachment and other accessories. He says his web site will be up and running soon. His phone is the same and he has a new email address. I don't remember if I can post it but here it is: robert@robertfilm.com. If I'm wrong Brad can zap it.

Thanks again for your help.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2003 05:21 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob: The 1510 5000' arm version I once had was also from Canada and had Robert Film service stickers on it. FYI, the machine was a workhorse...the only problem I ever had with it was that at one point the lamp wouldn't strike. I couldn't figure it out (even after speaking with Eiki's top service tech Tim Plew who's no longer with them), so I gave it to a buddy of mine who runs a TV station. One of his tech's found an intermittant lose connection in the rectifier feed cable connector which cured the problem. The only problem with the 1510's, IMHO, is the size and weight. They are NOT portable--more like lugging a DeVry XD around--and the newer EX series Eiki's, which are truly table top size, have more light output. Keep in mind my tip of going to a 350 watt xenon. Crank it up to 16 amps and you'll have no problem with it. The only mod is to remove the anode strap from the machine and hook the lamp's strap to the machine's stud. You'll get close to 1000 ANSI extra light "for nothing". Good luck with it. It'll probably outlast all of us.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip Jeff. And you got that right, that sucker is NOT portable. Of course, once I get it in there it'll stay even if I convert to 35mm later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: