Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Reel 6 of LXG out of sync

Author Topic: Reel 6 of LXG out of sync
William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 02:43 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During the screening of LXG tonight we had a slight problem with our reel 6. The beginning of the reel started of with the noise one would expect to hear if the film tailed out with the sound still on, then when sound finally did come back it was approximately 1:30 out of sync. This occurred in both DTS and Dolby analog. Anyone else have this problem tonight? I tell ya, QA has gone to total shit in this industry as of lately.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-11-2003 03:03 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both my prints were fine.

Sorry to hear that you're going to have a busy morning. [Frown]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-11-2003 03:05 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We didn't notice it on our staff screening tonight. We haven't run it in any digital format yet, though. The SR track seems OK.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-11-2003 03:34 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since all of the sound tracks are on the same negative, all of your formats would be out of sync if one of them was. So you should be OK, Jack.

I wonder if the soundtrack negative (in William's place) slipped somehow... you would think that 135' would be quite a ways to slip though.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 06:20 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think he means 1.5 seconds, not a minute and a half. I saw this happen at a Sameric theatre once and it was a software problem, but if it's only on one reel, it sure sounds like a misprint, especially if BOTH formats are off by the same amount.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-11-2003 06:33 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe William has a dts-6AD? It could be the only way I can think of both dts and analog get displaced at the same time at the same rate (provided the 6AD processes analog internally in the digital domain, I am not very familiar with the unit).

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 07:38 AM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope Micheal it is a plain jane DTS 6D hooked to a Dolby CP55 and Nope John I meant 1 minute 30 seconds between when the lips moved on screen that there we actual words spoken in the speakers. And it was off in two formats so I would be willing to bet that all formats are off the same. Also there were alot of scenes in that reel where people were talking on screen and there were explosions happening in the speakers. Update: I just ran it in Dolby Digital and the same thing is happening in that format as well so It is safe to say I have a fucked up reel 6 at this point. Are we sure today is not Friday the 13th? Upon arrival at my job at the state this morning, I sat down, entered this post then the fire alarm went off. We evacuated the building a few minutes later 7 fire trucks and the HazMat unit showed up. I was only there to tell them I was going to have to come back to work at the theatre and to check this thread to see if anyone else had this problem. What a way to start the day.

[ 07-11-2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: William T. Parr ]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-11-2003 02:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
If Fox doesn't come to pick up that defective reel, you should save that one. What a great gag on an unsuspecting tech that needs "something to run" who is being an ass. [Wink]

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 06:47 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[evil] [evil] [evil] I Like that Idea [evil] [evil] [evil]

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2003 11:12 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one old 16mm reel of "Deep Throat" somewhere that had the soundtrack printed 26 frames off. On that film, you hardly notice the difference. [Razz]

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2003 04:51 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Parr:
No, it's not Friday the 13th, but we just had a full moon.
Bad news time!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As noted, if the printer was threaded out of sync, all the sound formats will be out of sync, since they are printed on the same sound negative. Request a replacement reel.

Standard SMPTE 40 specifies 21 frames displacement between the picture and the analog sound --- find some of those gunshots, and see if they are 21 frames from the "bang" on the analog track. Do remember that dialog (ADR) and sound effects are often not recorded on the set, so perfect sync for every sound depends upon the skill of the sound editor and may occasionally be slightly off for a scene or two.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: