Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » THX no longer supporting R2 Spectrum Analyzer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: THX no longer supporting R2 Spectrum Analyzer
Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 07:34 PM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On tuesday my R2 was hit by a "brown-out" that threw the calibration out of whack (it read 9db higher after being rebooted) so I called THX to see about getting it recalibrated. They told me that they no longer are supporting the R2 and they gave me the number of the company that is.
That company's info:

http://www.acoustx.us/
AcoustX
PO Box 4214
San Rafael, CA 94913

Tim Holms is the contact person.

They will calibrate and repair (if possible) R2 units for about $300US for the calibration (will meet or exceed all THX criteria) plus shipping and repair fees

They also have a new product about to become available: The D2 and winRTA. The D2 is planned to be the replacement for the R2 (get it... R2-D2) It is supposed to be more or less the same thing as the R2 (four wired mics, multiplexer, and control box, hook it up to the laptop) However it is about half the size (and weight), the multiplexer wire is smaller and it has more features (such as 1/12 octave resolution). Price is still yet to be determined but will probably be somwhere in the $3500-$4500 range for the D2 kit.

Tim was very friendly and professional and I will have my R2 back on Monday or Tuesday.

Jonathan

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-10-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You think they'd at least release the new product before giving up on the old one.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-10-2003 10:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But the big question remains...when will the D2 be available?

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

From the acoustix web:

"D2 available Summer 2003"!

Bye
A

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-11-2003 03:05 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bye Antonio! See ya!

--J

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-11-2003 03:06 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what, it's summer now.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-11-2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh Daryl! You are sooooo wise and all-knowing. I can not think what we all would do without your post on the obvious... [evil]

>>> Phil

Jon Bartow
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 05:46 AM      Profile for Jon Bartow   Email Jon Bartow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, Tim indicated to me that the first ones would be available in the next 4-8 weeks. Also the winRTA software will not control the R2, only the D2. It will however open R2 files for comparison.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-11-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Tim Holmes was they guy behind the R2 so it makes sense that he would be the one handling it...its his baby...as it were. It also makes sense that he would be developing its replacement since he no longer works for THX.

Steve

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-11-2003 09:25 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember THX stood for someone with the initials "TH" "eXperiment" - which also conveniently went along with Lucas' THX 1138 movie.

Is Tim Holmes the "TH" in "THX"?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-11-2003 09:36 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

The TH stands for Tomlinson Holman, who is a lecturer at USC School of Cinema-Television.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 07-11-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Thanks Manny!

Bill Mantz
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2003 12:33 AM      Profile for Bill Mantz   Email Bill Mantz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I emailed the company and this is there reply:

Thank you for your interest in the new analyzer. It is a comprehensive tool for cinema alignment and troubleshooting.
The new system is still under development. It now looks like it will be available in September or October. I will send you more information as the time gets closer.

It seem they are still working out some bugs in the program.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition to his role as a professor in the film school at USC, Tom Holman is still very active in the industry with TMH Corporation:

http://www.tmhlabs.com/about/about.html

http://www.tmhlabs.com/products/products.html

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/surround2001/technology/page_11.shtml

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/tomholman/

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-15-2003 12:46 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking at there site and the multiplexer looks like the USL one right down the on off switch in the same spot
Hope the software is Win 98 compatable since some processors setup software is not xp compatable and it would be a pain to boot back and forth

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: