Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » "Pirates" SR track sounds wierd (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: "Pirates" SR track sounds wierd
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 01:47 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an experience I haven't had to deal with in years.

The analog track on my print of "Pirates" sounds like [bs] crap! [bs]

The sound is much like what you'd get if you took an unencoded cassette and played it with Dolby C. The low level passages on my print almost literally disappear, and the dialog is choppy.... like we're trying to decode something that wasn't encoded to begin with.

I'm getting much more acceptable sound off this print by running it in Dolby "A".

What really highlighed the problem was that the 5 trailers I ran before the feature sounded just fine. "Pirates" sounded lousy right from the start & never got better.

So, here's my question. Do I have a crappy print? (seems unlikely), or did the mixer guys just blow off the analog track because, naturally, all theatres worth spending your hard earned buck at MUST have working digital sound systems (right?)!

The leaders never say much about the analog "backup" track anymore. Mine says it's got DTS, SDDS, SRD & SRDEX.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-10-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the terms of the license with Dolby, if there is a SRD track, then the analog backup must be SR.

Perhaps the analog mix just sucks. [Frown]

-Aaron

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 03:01 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, probably.

Good to know though. I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-10-2003 03:02 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of analog reader do you have?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 03:32 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Component Engineering's reverse scanner.

In case you're heading in that direction, I'm planning to run my loop thru it today. Everything looks good visually, but you know how far that can get you.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 04:49 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you run the film more than once, to see if at the splice the film jumps out of place on the sound drum? Could the sound have been printed out of focus? This could cause the output of the cells to be at a lower level, and cause SR to miss-track.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are all reels affected? If only one reel is affected, check the position of the track and whether is has even silver redevelopment (dark gray band across the width of the colored dyes in the track). If there was a slippage problem in the printer, the high frequency modulations in the track will be smeared or blurred.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 07:33 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alignment is good. Nowadays, you don't have much wiggle room anyways... you go one way & you're reading sprockets. Go the other & it's the DTS track. It's like a built-in buzztrack loop! [Wink] . Focus is also fine. Nothing's been whacked out of place. The trailers play fine, but everything changes when the print starts.

I'm moving the show to another screen tonight. It'll be interesting to see if the problem moves as well.

John... the whole print is like that, not just a reel or two.

Jack

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since each reel is printed and processed at a different time, often on different equipment and on different days, it would be very unusualy for a lab problem to affect all 8 reels like that. If there was a problem with the recording of the sound negatives (usually done on the same equipment), all prints would have the problem, and other theatres would complain too.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point, John. My preamp's probably set a little low on that screen.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-14-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a RED LED/cyan dye issue or high-magenta issue? Do the trailers that sound good include an *attached* trailer (printed along with reel 1), or just the loose trailers (likely high-magenta or redeveloped silver).

--jhawk

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-15-2003 04:11 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched parts of it on a white light analog system, and I have to say it sounded really good.
The trailers are not a really good comparison because they are often mixed just loud and in-your-face, without any dynamic range.
Maybe the dialog sounds weird to you because they all speak with a British accent?
More seriously, maybe your SR card has a problem.
Did you take the card from another auditorium to check?

Trevor Bailey
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Trevor Bailey   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI,

This past weekend, I had reports from six locations of bad sound. After finding no problems at the first two, it became apparent that they were both running "Pirates" and that was the common denominator. The complaint was the same: "Sound fading". It was impossible to determine which format was causing the issue as some theaters claimed to be playing digital (which they didn't have) and other said they were in analog (although their DTS and DD were working fine). ??

So, if you are having problems with "Pirates", don't dismiss the possibility of a bad print.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-16-2003 01:01 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update, Trevor

quote:
Do the trailers that sound good include an *attached* trailer (printed along with reel 1), or just the loose trailers
That's what initially made me suspicious. The loose trailers I added sound normal. The two that were attached (actually printed on the front... not spliced) also had that sound... like expanders working against a signal that hadn't been compressed to begin with. That could be caused by preamps that were set way lower than they should be, but I had no issues with the sound before this print of Pirates.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-16-2003 01:04 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack:

Red LED readers or white exciter lamps? Evidence of redeveloped silver soundtrack (purple coloration) or indication on the leaders of High-magenta?

Also, what does running Cat 69T give you?

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: