Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Need help with throw distance

Author Topic: Need help with throw distance
John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I am working on an outdoors screening/drive-in movie (one time show)and need some help with figuring out how far to place the "booth" from the screen.

We are showing "Twister" in 35mm/scope.

The lenses that I have to chose from are

Baush & Lomb (scope)E.E. 6.5"
Super Lite E.F. 5.5"
Super Lite E.F. 6.5"

The screen will be 15'x34'

My question is, what combination of lenses will be best to use, and how far will they have to be from the screen.

The rest of the equipment is:

simplex xl
xetron 2,000 watt lamp
strong power supply
cfs "super platter"
home made A.M. sound and 2 D.J. sound systems comming to help out

p.s. the show is tonight at 9:30, so I doing this as a last min. thing.

Thanks for your help,
John

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-10-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a screen 34x14.5' you will need a throw of:

132' 7" for the 6.5 (163mm) lens

and

112' for the 5.5' (137mm) lens.

At those throws, I doubt that 2000W is enough lamp for the job, especially with those old antique lenses.

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-10-2003 04:23 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: Throw distance has NO effect on screen brightness. (UNLESS you have SPFX like fog in the theatre or are projecting to outer space with extremely long throws!)

Things that DO affect screen brightness are: The format of the print. The square-footage of the projected image (magnification). The efficiency of the lamphouse and reflector (f-stop). The wattage and age of the xenon lamp. The efficiency of the projection lens (f & t-stop). The screen gain. And of course, the alignment of the optical system.

>>> Phil

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 07-10-2003 06:55 AM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Error

John Hegel
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 10:52 AM      Profile for John Hegel   Author's Homepage   Email John Hegel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I put the scope lens on the front of the flat/primary lens, does that effect the focal length (i.e. do I have to be a different distance from the screen)?

Mitchell Cope
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 11:54 AM      Profile for Mitchell Cope   Email Mitchell Cope   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually no. The height of the image is the same with or without the anamorphic. Along the horizontal, the image is expanded by a factor of 2.

What I think throws people off most about anamorphics and the change in focal lengths between scope and flat images is they don't account for the larger aperture size for scope motion pictures. It's that larger aperture size that causes you to have a longer focal length lens for your primary. This assumes that you were wanting to keep your image height constant.

Someone check my math with Aaron's:

I say a 6.5" (165.1mm) primary will fill a 15 foot high screen at 142 feet. The width of the 2.39:1 picture will be 35 feet 9 inches (a loss of almost a foot of image on each side). At 136 feet there is no image loss, but you have an extra 7 inches of horizontal screen not being used.

I say a 5.5" (139.7mm) primary will fill a 15 foot high screen at 121 feet. The width of the 2.39:1 picture will be 36 feet (a loss of almost a foot of image on each side). At 114 feet there is no image loss, but you have an extra 7 inches of horizontal screen not being used.

I think we only differ in a couple of mms. Pass them around. [beer]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: