Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Did anybody get a "Nemo Focus loop"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Did anybody get a "Nemo Focus loop"?
Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 04:42 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering if any of you got a hold of one of the 50 "Finding Nemo Focus Loops" that were sent out with Dolby Select Prints... Dolby Select Prints: All reels are graded "A" or "B", with stickers on each reel with pertinent lab information (there can be only minor positive or negative dirt for a "B" graded reel, nothing distracting), and all reels are within one point, plus or minus, from the approved color reference.

The "Loop" isn't really a loop, but it is pretty cool. The Pixar guys, wanting to go the extra mile, made an image, with a 1:85 framing border, and a Fresnel Focus Target in the center. It has "Bruce the Shark" in the top, right portion of the image, and Bruce smiles as the film rolls. There were two, attached to each other, that went in every can that had a Select Print.

We were hoping they would be played at least once before being taken home...

Anyway, anybody get one?

Yours, Ted

Ted Costas
Director
Distributor Services
Dolby Labs

|  IP: Logged

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, nothing like that came with our prints here. But sounds interesting. That movie is hard to focus, the underwater scenes purposely are made to look fuzzy?

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 06:51 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're not running "Nemo"... but that's a great idea, Ted. My theatre runs a wide variety of prints from major releases to art films to repertory, in all the formats, and it would greatly speed up conversion times for our two-projector setup if all prints came with a focus/framing loop which was, say, printed on the head of the first reel.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember getting something similar with Star Wars Ep 1. It had a non-standard test pattern and C-3PO announcing all of the different sound channels. Not sure, but I think that loop was DTS only.

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christopher
Wouldn't a loop of RP40 do the trick for you.
I use it alot when changing formats, works like a charm for me.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-10-2003 06:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...except that RP40 has the emulsion toward the lens, rather than toward the lamp, like on "normal" prints, so it's not terribly useful as a focus reference. At least this is true of older RP40 loops on B&W stock; the newer ones are on color stock (why?), but I've only seen one of these and don't remember the emulsion orientation.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't get one with our print.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 10:38 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's why I flip the rp-40 around so that the emulsion is torwards the light source. I do this just for focusing issues.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I never even thought about the emulsion orientation on 35-PA. Regardless, each different stock (and to some degree, batch of stocks) has slightly different focus, and we all know that framing to the SMPTE standard doesn't work with all (most?) prints either. Sometimes even the aspect ratio is in question (not just with repertory prints... see thread on the new "Spellbound" documentary in FITA forum). Providing a loop with each print takes out all the guesswork; there would be a definite focus/framing/format reference. I suppose if the filmmakers wanted to get really fancy they could include reference level pink noise or tones on all digital/analog soundtracks, LAD girls and color charts for color temperature reference, etc.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-10-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one! It was with the print that came to our theater in Galaxy 6 in Bonsall, CA.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 12:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are getting SMPTE 35-PA (RP40) test films that need the emulsion to face the lens to read correctly, they were made WRONG, and should be returned. They are specified to have the SAME orientation as a 35mm release print, with the emulsion facing the lamp.

A few years ago, someone made poor copies of bonifide 35-PA by simply contact printing it.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 07-11-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 35PA (B&W) reads correctly although it will still differ from a release print not only because it's B&W but also because of aging, just like on a production where they shoot a roll of focus chart and the editors put 12' on each dailies roll. This will absolutely always differ in focus from the following footage which just processed overnight. I suppose months later the focus might agree but on dailies one must rack the chart to make the crew happy then rerack when the first shot comes up.

That said, I'm not sure what value a loop has which may or may not agree with the actual print.

Don E. Nelson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 02:09 PM      Profile for Don E. Nelson   Email Don E. Nelson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....................you lucky, lucky guys, you get all the free goodies!!! My friend, Less Mature, the (feature film) bootlegger , didn't get a focus loop with his 35mm pirated copy of Nemo, [Wink] He was rather upset, not too many perks in the boot business, I guess.

John P. this is just a joke, OK......

Ted Costas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 07:19 PM      Profile for Ted Costas   Email Ted Costas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! Somebody got one. Michael Schaffer, let the e-bay bidding war begin (ha, ha).

Michael, did it help in any way? Was it at least cool? Did it achieve the psyhcological goal of, "I'll try it out, and maybe, the theatre operator will take a little extra time to make sure the feature is presented correctly." If they don't already.

You didn't say anything about it, and feedback from the guys in the trenches is vital. Let me know what you think.

I wish you all flawless presentations.

Yours, Ted

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-11-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That movie is hard to focus, the underwater scenes purposely are made to look fuzzy?

I was going to ask about that, too. We noticed it in the trailers, and it seemed to be the same on the release.

Did Pixar intentionally make the focus a little soft... or is it part of their process??

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: