Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal Movement On Strong Millennium (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Horizontal Movement On Strong Millennium
Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 04:36 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my Strong Millennium projectors here has a slight vibration which is causing some horizontal movement on screen.
I've adjusted tension on the film bands, checked the drive shaft and all the gears. Everything seems to be fine?

I'm kinda stumped any ideas? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-09-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the lens turret secured?

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this happen before also. It doesn't seem to happen with all prints thoough. I've found that making the feed and oldback loops (or top and bottom loops, whatever they're called) smaller sometimes helps.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same thing happen on a Westar.
When you placed your hand on the motor you could feel it vibrating every three or four seconds.
Never was able to find the answer, so installed a new motor. This cured the problem.

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
The lens turret seems to be fine it locks into place with no movement or play. We have tried running diffrent size loops, but this doesn't seem to help either. I haven't checked the motor, but I will look into it. I do have a spare motor so maybe I'll give it a whirl. Any other ideas please let me know! Thanks

Daniel Burns
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 10:25 PM      Profile for Daniel Burns   Email Daniel Burns   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
when i worked at amc we had a problem with this. The engineer looked at it and just said "looks like its weaving", tried nothing to fix it. All of our bands were set at 4 or 5 just to make it look a little better on screen.

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 02:02 PM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, how are your lateral guide rollers? Bent, nicked or warped? Do they turn freely and independantly of each other? Can the inboard roller be pushed further in and, when released, snap back out?

- Mike

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-10-2003 03:41 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen situations were the start celenoid on the motor, I think it's called that, stays on applying continuous start power to the motor. When this happens the motor vibrates everythin on that machine. Does the motor feel very hot to the touch after the projector stops. Does it do it in both flat and scope or just one of the lenses. Check the lens elements for loosness.

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
Our lateral guide rollers seem to always lock up due to condensation, the spring area ends up with small amounts of rust. We do clean them regularly. They don't turn as freely as I want them too. I will check this out today. Also I'll check for the heated motor, And also I'll check on the lens senario.
Thanks guys for all the tips!!! [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-14-2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the above is a very good example of why there are OTHER projectors of superior build which your employer SHOULD ahve selected....that don't have any of these prolewms.
This is all very typical with Simplex's with turretts. Mainly check for excessive vibrations and that the ball bearings securing the turrett to the frame are ok. Next would be the lens mounts with in the turretts. Either your print is bad, or its somethng on the turrett thats out of adjustment or work out.
Mark

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 02-04-2009 03:53 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2031 days since the last post.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2009 03:53 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Salley
One of my Strong Millennium projectors here has a slight vibration which is causing some horizontal movement on screen.
I have exactly the same problem.

quote: Darryl Spicer
I have seen situations were the start celenoid on the motor, I think it's called that, stays on applying continuous start power to the motor. When this happens the motor vibrates everythin on that machine. Does the motor feel very hot to the touch after the projector stops.
The motor is running slightly hotter that the other Millenniums

Any way to troubleshoot the possible motor start solenoid? It sounds odd to me that there would be a solenoid, is it perhaps a motor start capacitor?

All parts are tight. Motor mounting block, motor mounts, motor plate, turret, lens. New belts installed, oil changed. Trap bands perfect set to tension "4". Gate and trap are perfect. Lateral guide rollers inner and outer are perfect.

Ron Funderburg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2009 04:07 PM      Profile for Ron Funderburg   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Funderburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
All of the above is a very good example of why there are OTHER projectors of superior build which your employer SHOULD ahve selected....that don't have any of these prolewms.
But Mark all projectors have some kind of problem associated with them. If they didn't you would have been out of work a long time ago!

It is just so easy to blame a projector you don't like as having these kinds of problems! It is also easy to blame the owner for being the equipment but what is the point in that? We work with the equipment we have!

I personally like the old XL Simplex projector over all other brands, and don't really mind the ticks, quirks and flaws as I keep them well maintained and this seems to lessen problems at least for me.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-04-2009 08:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woo..let's dig up a 4 year old dead end thread, breathe life into it and kick it around some more... [Roll Eyes]

FYI - I got 8 Mil units that runs pretty steady - no problems with them outside of main seal replacements on a couple of them.

..but TONS better than those POS PR-1060's.

Don't know anything about the Apogee, yet don't want to know about them either..

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-04-2009 10:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't know anything about the Apogee,
You mean the Crapogee!

Ron, I have far less trouble with Christie P-35GP's then I do any other machine. The DP-70 is the next most reliable for me.

Anyway Paul... make sure that your lateral guide roller in the trap is not frozen open....

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: