Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » film scratches

Author Topic: film scratches
Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On screen I notice "white specs" which appear intermittently through out projection. I think I read somewhere in this forum that this type of scratch is caused by the emulsion being rubbed off due to varying tensions. This has to be happening in the make-up process because I see it the first show. I dont think I'm causing it when I load the film to the 6000 ft reels but rather when I'm loading the film to the platter. If I let the film run to the platter it will bob up and down so I have been holding the reel flanges lightly to stop that , a tip which I got from this forum. This is when I actually started noticing these type of scratches. If this is the problem how can I stop this from happening? If it isn't the problem what is causing these scratches?
I assume dirt shows up as black specs?
How often to "standing scratches" occur from incorrect loop size?
What would cause black hair like scratches to show up on screen?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
White specks or scratches can also be due to dirt or cinches on the printing negative, known as "shadow image" dirt. Most labs use on-line PTR cleaning and off-line solvent cleaning, but sometimes dirt becomes embedded in the printing negative.

Look at the area of the print where you see the white "specks" with bright, specular reflected light (e.g., hold the print under a spotlight or in the projector beam). Do you see any physical digs or scratches? If not, the marks were printed in.

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks John I'll check it out.

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2003 08:56 PM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell if it's shadow image dirt or if it's a scratch. How common is this shadow image dirt ?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-16-2003 03:10 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my time as a projectionist, and ever since as an audience member I get the impression that negative dirt and scratching is an increasing problem, especially for mainstream titles with very large print runs.

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 06:08 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would make sense because I really don't remember making a deal of this in the past....or maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough at the screen [eyes]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-16-2003 08:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
During my time as a projectionist, and ever since as an audience member I get the impression that negative dirt and scratching is an increasing problem, especially for mainstream titles with very large print runs.

Sorry, but I disagree!

In my career at Kodak, I have been very involved in projects to improve the cleanliness and quality of release prints. With Kodak VISION Color Print Film, Kodak has made significant investments in improving the formulation, slitting, and perforating of the print film itself, greatly improving the dirt level:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab/2383.shtml

Kodak VISION Color Intermediate Film 2242 used for making printing negatives now has a scratch-resistant conductive layer that greatly reduces the attraction of dirt during printing and resists scratching:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab/5242.shtml

Kodak has worked closely with the labs to improve the cleaniness of their operations, such as my SMPTE Presentation "Some Positive Ways to Handle Negative". One of my nicknames at Kodak is "Doctor Dirt". [Smile]

The labs themselves have made remarkable progress in improving cleanliness and reducing handling marks. Bi-directional and loop printing have greatly reduced the amount of negative handling, improving cleanliness even for long print runs. Labs routinely use on-line cleaning of both raw stock and printing negatives during printing, and quickly pull a negative for solvent cleaning if dirt levels build. Several new "state-of-the-art" release print labs have been built in the last few years, using the latest in printing, processing, and cleanliness technology.

Distributors often contract for "third party" inspections of outgoing print quality to supplement lab QC. These include the THX Theatre Alignment Program (TAP), Dolby Distributor Services (Ted Costas' group), LedJer Print Services, Kodak ScreenCheck, etc.:

http://www.thx.com/mod/techLib/pdf/labgrad.pdf

http://www.dolby.com/press/co_pr_0207_PrintChecking.html

http://www.ledjer.com/services.htm

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/screencheck/

So I am keenly aware of dirt issues, and have them on my mind every time I go to the movies. Although I occasionally wince at the dirt/defect level on a particular production (usually seems to be an issue of a careless negative film cutter), overall, I find the overall quality of release prints to have improved remarkably compared to "the good old days" of triacetate prints, rem-jet, and Model C printers.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2003 01:33 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our print of Nowhere in Africa (#76) had random white specks throughout. The print was very clean; the specks were printed in.
Note to all: this print was water damaged on its way to us, there was standing water in the reel 5-8 can. The tails of reels 5 and 6 were sticking (shipped tail-out). A good soaking with F-G saved the print!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: