Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Oil Leaks

Author Topic: Strong Oil Leaks
Michael Elam
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 03:26 PM      Profile for Michael Elam   Email Michael Elam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone came up with a way to stop the oil leaks from the
Strong/Simplex PR 1050/1060 and 2000 projectors?

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-08-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time the older machines don't leak oil is when they are sitting on the shelf. That's because there is nothing in them.

Supposedly, the new machines don't leak.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-08-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's from the gaskets or "O" rings and/or seals, replace them. If from the gaskets, there are improved "red" ones available. My 1986 Simplex 35's DO NOT leak a drop... and YES Paul, they have oil in them.

If it's from the casting: That's a real problem for the Simplex and Ballantyne (or any oil-bath/oil-filled projector/mechanism that has a porous casting.

I have junked or sent back to the factory more Ballantyne Pro 35's and 870's than I care to mention for lousy castings that seep oil.

I wish I could give you some pointers short of having it all re-painted with powder paint and baked to seal the casting.

>>> Phil

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 02:40 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
... off topic, I know... sorry, but...
speaking of Strong... has anyone heard from Pat lately?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 08:12 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I talked to Pat Moore at ShoWest, he said he has been "on the road" a tremendous amount of time, often overseas. Does anyone know if he was at Show Canada or Cine-Expo?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed oil leaks on these machines around the intermittents. Are the o-rings inside those intermittents going bad?

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 10:09 AM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Phil....i've installed some of the new red ones.........and I havn't had a problem with them

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2003 11:19 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, whats the best way to install these new gaskets? I have one in that doesnt leak (except the O-ring on the framing knob seems to leak). The other one is leaking pretty bad... The old gasket was put on with some sort of RTV sealant... should i put the new gasket on with this stuff? It was nearly impossible to get the gasket to sit right while putting it in without anything to hold it. Also which way should i put the lip? On the first one I put the lip facing in, but the second one the lip wouldn't fit that way so i put it out and it leaks. Any help would be great! Thanks.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take some paper towels (good ones, not cheapo dollar store brands) and fold them to size and place them on any horizontal surfaces where oil pools up. Below the intermittent, and at the bottom of the sound heads is usually where I put them. Keep them in place with a little masking tape if this is an issue. Then once a week, change them out with fresh ones. And when you wipe out the gate & sprockets in between shows, have a seperate rag on hand to give the rest of the oil "trouble spots" a quick wipedown. At the end of the night, use the same rag to give the whole projector a good once over while you're doing your cleaning. I usually pay special attention to the failsafes, lower guide roller and underside of the whole projector, since thats where I see most of the buildup. It's not a solution exactly, but doing this daily will keep things decently oil-free. Just be sure to clearly mark the different rags for everyone who works in your booth, so you don't get someone who isn't paying attention wiping out your gate with a cruddy oily rag! (Thankfully, most people who would be careless enough to make such a mistake usually are too lazy to clean out the gate in the first place...hmmmm....maybe "thankfully" isn't the word I was looking for...)

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-04-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've also heard of some people using feminine sanitary "mini-pads" to soak up seeping oil. Most even have an adhesive strip to hold them in place. Under the projector, give consideration to the small absorbent bedpads or even an opened disposable baby diaper.

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/shelf?deptid=2227&catid=2303&subcatid=2327

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2003 04:18 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we use the old oil dry pan trick around here. Unfortunately each projector needs 2 pans to catch all of the oil. I think I got that new gasket in there correctly this time. I have the ridge of the red gasket facing in so it gets squeezed when you put the cover in. I also had to use some RTV to hold the gasket in place while installing it. It hasn't leaked all day so I'll just keep an eye on it for a week to be sure. Its probably damn near impossible to fix every leak without tearing the machine apart and rebuilding it with new gaskets and o-rings. Next up is that pesky roof leak... it never ends!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: