Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theater closing: A sad Day

Author Topic: Theater closing: A sad Day
Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 03:17 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today I began to remove the equipement in a booth of the theater "Les Arcades" in Geneva. I believe this day could be the most sad day of my job. I'm Sad because this single screen theater had the best picture and sound and the most comfortable seats at the center of the city. I'm sad too because the projectionist who work here alomost ten years, was a verry good fellow, was fired up and he can not find another job.
My only point of consolation is that the projector wil be instlled in a another theater, the CP 500 is instaled on our "Open-Air cinema" the seats will be replace worn out seats on a 16 years old multiplex, and we will use the speakers and suround speakers to improve the sound quality and switch to dolby digital EX in a another theater. You see my summer will be buzzy !
The reason why the company closed this theater was is location in a shopping mall where all shops was closed one years aggo. for this reason no peoples passing trought thi mall and so many person ignore the existense of a theater here. For this reason they closed up the theater.
Here is somes pics of the auditorium and the booth. Sad is int' ?
Sorry for my weak English, but I believe that for any projectionist who see is favorite theater closig his doors forever, the sadness could be real....
[Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
 -
 -

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your English may be weak, but your sentiments are eloquent. [thumbsup]

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 09:46 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
Everytime I've helped closed down a theater it always seemed sad. Even if you haven't worked there. It's a very erie feeling. When the screens come down and the last projector is moved out. Just walk around after everything is gone, when its quite you can almost hear the projectors still running or aleast imagine them running. The last theater I helped tear down the projectionists had signed the walls of the booth, which made it even more erie.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-08-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I just passed by Cinema 5 in Mount Vernon today. The entire interior is almost all but removed. Almost just one big shell.....it is being converted to office space.

It is still depressing for me to see it like that. When the theatre was built, I designed the projection booth and installed all the equipment. As I reported before on another thread, House No. 3 was where I was standing when an armed robbery occured when one of the robbers came into the booth pointing the business end of a .357 and marched me out of the booth. I had an old Brenkert BX-80 running in there because I was waiting for a Pro-35 to arrive for installation. I was cutting an aperature plate or it when the robbery occured.

When we got the theatre back from Plitt, we tried to save it as a dollar house. No go. We closed the theatre, removed all the seats and equipment. Most of the equipment found a home. I gave the old BX-80, the electrical raceway, and an amplifier to Josh.

Lots of memories went with that building. Mostly good, some bad.

A 7-plex closed in Everett, and last week some gentlemen from Alabama came up with two semi-trailers and removed all the equipment and seats (I presume) for construction of a theatre about 90 miles away from Evans in Huntsville, "Bammer." [Big Grin]

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 11:06 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New theatre 90 miles away from me in Huntsville? Where exactly is this new theatre? I'm aware of a new one being constructed in Athens, but that's 20 miles away. Carmike is building a new 12-plex in Florence soon.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-08-2003 11:15 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evans, I think it is an independent. The gent told me the name of the town, but I forgot. I remember the distance, because I mentioned your name in Huntsville, Bammer.

Anyway, if you hear on one going up with Century projectors and Christie platters, then you will know where the junk came from.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 12:09 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah the theater I'm currently working at dosen't look like it has a very bright future & I'll probably be in the same position soon, gutting and disassembling a place that's meant a lot to me. My hope is that either the company will wise up a bit, or someone will offer to purchase the theater & equipment, although neither one seems incredibly likely. It's a real shame.

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 01:05 AM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all for your replies !
Here is a pic of a another theater we closed past month. some projectionist had signed the wall...
 -
Even Don Bluth made a drawing on the electrical wall box for us !
 -

Rachel Craven
Madam Moderator

- posted 07-09-2003 11:09 AM      Profile for Rachel Craven   Email Rachel Craven   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What did they write? I get the Adios but thats about it. [Wink]

Jean-Michel Grin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 12:26 PM      Profile for Jean-Michel Grin   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Michel Grin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rachel,

I will try to translate it aproximatively (sorry for my weak English)
-"Adios See You soon on the screen"

-Que de temps dans ces murs
"How much time we spend inside these walls"

-Amical Souvenir
"Friendly greetings (or remenber)"

Sorry Rachel my translation is aproximative....

Bye,

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 09:15 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its always sad to see cinemas close and end up converted to warehouse type stores or supermarkets.Walked into a former theatre some years back where I did the odd shift,projectors were Phillips AA 11's and was equipped to show 70mm.The ports still there and the projection room is empty the stage is still intact with ornate plaster work. The Stalls full of house hold appliances as the dress circle.The place has a sad feel about it.

Steve [Frown]

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 09:42 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There have so many decent theatres that closed recently in the Seattle metro area that it was hard to keep up.
My greatest loss was the old Embassy Theatre in Waltham, Mass. That place was quite a palace and I can still remember the days when I did some work there. Also did a stint at the Central Square theatre, same town, but there was no comparison to the Embassy. That theatre was demolished many years ago. I believe there were about 2500 seats, a huge scope screen and great projectionists. Some called it the showplace of New England.
Landmark built a complex near the old location and also called that cinema The Embassy.
Pete

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2003 11:20 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked for a theatre chain a few years back... I was known as Dr. Death. It was my job to go in, tidy up everything, and get the theatre ready for closing. Not a great job....

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2003 06:24 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know you're in trouble when the company doctor's name is "Kevorki [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: