Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New ETS Can locks (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New ETS Can locks
Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 09:43 AM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know those tabs they put on electric meters. Well, they used them on our cans of T3. They require pliers or tin snips in order to cut through the metal ring.

Here's a picture:

-

Paul

|  IP: Logged

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 10:28 AM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Booth person seemed to have problems opening these things with the wire cutters. I just went up grabbed the blue part and twisted it until the wire broke. Pretty easy.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-08-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had handled a print of 'Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan' in 1982 that had the cans sealed with one of the old lead-and-wire seals...

And a print of 'A Bug's Life' for a special advance screening that had PADLOCKS on the cans. Disney tech Kent Peterson had the only set of keys.

Aaron

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 10:46 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How well publicized was the use of these "secured" tabs? Unless a theatre knew the cases were SUPPOSED to arrive with the tabs intact, a would-be pirate could have "borrowed" the print for copying, and just sent it on to the theatre without the tabs.

Paul: How are they protecting the digital cinema version of T3? How was it delivered to your theatre? (Satellite or DVDs?) Is an decryption key system being used yet?:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/cineOpSys.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/digital/bouchardInterviewP.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/researchDevelopment/productFeatures/cinema.shtml

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 01:29 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a real brilliant move!
Our print of T3 had the "secured tabs" on each of the cans EXCEPT one of them was on the inside of the key. Why that can didn't open and spew out the reels is beyond me.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2003 01:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, wire cutters DON'T work! I had to fight to get mine off. After the first can, I was seriously eyeing the bolt cutters. I figure if the front of the can won't open because of a stupid security clasp, I'll cut the back latches open. I don't have time to play jack-around with these stupid security measures.

John, I think it's cute how you insinuate that pirates don't have access to prints before the depot ships them out. [Razz]

Then again why does Sony feel the need to put a fake movie title on every print on one side of the can, then put the REAL title on the other? Yeah, that's gonna fool someone. And wasn't there an Arnold movie released by Warner Brothers called "Collateral Damage"? What a great idea to name a new Arnold/Warner movie "Collateral Damage". I'm going to laugh if down the road someone opens up a set of cans for a repertory show and the wrong film is in there.

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, all content is delivered on hard drives that plug into the AMS system. The content is generally encrypted in which the TDC (Technicolor Digital Cinema) tech installs the decryption keys.

The content, feature and all 6 channels, have a unique DES3 key that is tied to the decoder so you can't take the content from one machine to another without a new set of keys.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-08-2003 01:50 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of my prints had "Collateral Damage (2003)" on them. Not to be mistaken with "Collateral Damage (2002)". [Smile]

BTW, we're still running Finding Nemo on our TI/CDS DLP... and since our two prints of T3 are selling out in auditoriums similar in size to the DLP auditorium (~350 seats), it wouldn't have made a difference if we had chosen to run T3 in digital.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 07-08-2003 02:12 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use your Bus Bar shunt, Stick it in, and give it a couple of twists and it should pop.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 03:49 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
John, I think it's cute how you insinuate that pirates don't have access to prints before the depot ships them out.
I AM saying that the print could be "borrowed" BEFORE it gets to the theatre.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 03:52 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Brad was just pointing out that the print could be "borrowed" before the "security tag" even gets attatched to the can.

Bill Carter
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 04:01 PM      Profile for Bill Carter   Email Bill Carter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, the guys at my local ETS depot were complaining and laughing about having to put those tags on all the T3 prints. I actually had to wait while they found one to put on my print before I could take it out the door.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
am i missing something? that whole tag looks narrow enough to fit through the slot in the latch. is it too thick?

carl

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the regular tab just fits through the slot, the 'security' tab won't fit through since it sits against the regular tab (the wire isn't long enough to go through after the regular tab).

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 07-08-2003 05:30 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hand full of pirated videos I've seen were well before theatres would have gotten prints, indicating the copying was done at the distribution level or before.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: