Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » TA-10 Installation and Programming (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TA-10 Installation and Programming
John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2003 06:59 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm installing a TA-10 and I need to know how to set up the cues. I see all of the connections inside the TA-10 labeled Q1A, Q1B, etc. I need to know how to hook these up for things like show end etc.
I also have a Xetrol IV dimmer that has just two steps, up and down. It has 3 wires that hooked up in my old Raven automation labeled: up, down, and common. How can I hook this dimmer up and how do I do the cues for the lights down at the show start and up at the credits? I will be installing a new dimmer down the road that will go to half at show start then off when the feature starts then back up at the end so I will need to be able to do that as well. Thanks in advance.
John

|  IP: Logged

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 05:52 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TA 10 is highly flexible in what you can do with it but the easiest way is to use the event relays and leave the cue relays for customisation.

The events are common to all shows so...

Event 1 happens when you press start.... it turns on the Motor and Xenon lamp. Put your lights down on this event.

Event 2 happens 7 seconds after event 1, it opens the shutter and turns the alarms on.

Event 3 happens when your end of show cue goes thru. You select which cue you want to use and connect the yellow pair onto the terminals. I always use the middle cue, number 2, for this personally.

Event 4 happens 'x' seconds after event 3. You set the delay 'x' using the dip switches on the top circuit board. The shutter will then close after 'x' seconds. The alarms are turned off waiting for the film to run out, end of film, or another interval cue to restart event number 1.

Event 5 is film run out and stops the projector.

An alarm event triggers events 3, 4 & 5.

So put your lights down onto event 1 and your lights up onto event 3. You will need to set the delay for event 4 to match your curtains closing speed if you have them. Also set the up & down fade rate to match. If you can't set the fade rates you may have to use a cue to control the lights directly. But avoid this if possible as it will use up two cues you could use for other functions. It's also less work when cueing up in the first place.

The manual explains all of this in some detail so if you don't have one its available from CA's web site and on Film-Tech.

You will need to assign which relays are triggered by each event so sit down and write out what you want to happen with each event and work out how many relays you need to tie to an event. Each relay has two sets of contacts. As there are only six event relays available you need to give careful consideration to how you are going to assign them.

You can easily tie an event relay to more than one event if you need to... but you MUST use diodes if you want to do this. If you are only tieing a relay to a single event you can use a simple wire jumper. I ALWAYS use diodes so there is no confusion later.

NOTE! You can tie a CUE relay to an EVENT relay or visa versa
if you need to but you MUST use a diode for this. Doing this can extend the number of functions controled by an event or cue.

I would use cue 1, 3, 5, & 7 for functions that happen when film sound is NOT active ie on lacing leaders. That way there is no loud thump as the cue goes thru.

Cue 2 for end of show , leaving cue's 4 & 6 for functions you want to operate whilst on screen.

This may not work out in practice but it is preferable.

My cueing system has always been...

Cue 1 Masking to 1.85. Placed on leader.
Cue 2 End of show / Restart show.
Cue 3 House lights off. Placed on leader.
Cue 4 House lights to low. Placed at start of credits.
Cue 5 Masking to Scope. Placed on leader
Cue 6 Not used
Cue 7 All stop. Placed on feature change run out after ads etc.

Cue 7 was wired thru a normally open contact so we could select to stop during the feature change if we needed to. We had quite a long feature change to allow for stopping and splitting the programe on advert change days. Other wise the projector continued to run until the next middle cue went thru and started the show again.

Cue's 2 & 5 were used for masking control. Cue 2 was applied to the leader and taped over so it was permanent. If the film was in scope you appled the other side of cue five on top of the tape. This way it was easy to change a cue back to 1.85 by simply peeling off the cue from the opposite side.

You can see that there are no sound track cues while on screen. There is only ever a need to put a maximum of two cues onto a film itself. The company I worked for liked the house lights rased to low at the start of the credits. If you don't do this then you only need apply a single middle cue. Everything else is on lacing leaders and in house titles so you don't have to constantly apply cue's.

Hope this helps. Happy to help further if needed.

[ 07-06-2003, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Ken McFall ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2003 03:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, exactly what type of diodes do you use?

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 04:19 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God you had to ask.... anything rated at 1amp or higher as the manual states... nothing special at all. It's only needed if you want a relay pulsed by more than one event. I always use diodes in case I want to tie a relay to more than one evnt in the future, it's better to be consistant from the start.

It's almost anything you have to hand....

I know I'll regret posting that! [Big Grin]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-05-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Careful or Michael will get a god complex when you refer to him like that. [Wink]

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 05:34 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could so easily have said 'Shit you had to ask' would he have claimed ownership of that?

Oh mighty God Brad am I allowed to say 'shit' on here?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2003 05:46 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, I don`t understand either why he refers to me as god and why he was inconvenienced by the question. I was just curious to know if he had any special tips/experience to share about the installation from his practice.
BTW, Ken - why is there no location info in your profile anymore? I remember you were somewhere in London. What happened? Are you in prison now? I think it is nice that they let you use the computer once in a while.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-05-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, now that he has proclaimed me as a god, I was just playing with my newfound powers and struck him off of the planet. That's why he doesn't have a location anymore.

(Seriously, it looks like he was editing his profile and made a mistake.)

Ken, shit yeah you can say shit if you feel the word shit is necessary to get your shit across. Most of the time it isn't necessary though.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2003 06:01 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Thanks for the kind permission Brad... I'll shit where ever I feel the need.

As for no location... there is a story to tell and I'm busy preparing all of the documentation as to recent events. I'm now unemployed having been used and discarded as seems to be the role of the average worker here.

However, I'm not able to give more info right now.... But I'll provide a web site address soon where you can all read the letters and draw your own conclusion of how employers treat their employee's here in Britain. I have already scanned all of the letters so far into PDF documents ready for posting so be patient.

Until then I'm available for employment by a decent employer.... NOT City Screen.

I stress this is my own opinion and may not be shared by everyone... [Big Grin]

In this country we have comedy shows that use the word Allegedly where you want to make a point without making a statement as such. This of course applies in this case.... Allegedly!!

[ 07-06-2003, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Ken McFall ]

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 08:17 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Diodes- use 1N4001s, they're a dime a dozen (leterally !)

Peter

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-06-2003 08:29 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So are 1N4004 or 1N4007's. Use the 04 or the 07's...they are rated at 400PIV & 1000PIV respectively and will be good for most all general-pupose 1-amp applications where a high-speed diode is not required such as a flyback diode. Anything less than the 04's is a waste of money!

Brad said: "Ken, shit yeah you can say shit if you feel the word shit is necessary to get your shit across."

Whew! Such discusting language. What a potty-mouth you have Brad.

>>> Phil

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2003 01:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You taught me well, Phil.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michale I was just annoyed because I knew someone would ask which diodes... and I did'nt have the info to hand...

I post relies on here from home and normally with a large G & T in hand, so don't have all of the info to hand... but at least on here you can be sure others will always help out.

Regards.

Peter, just to make things even... you don't spell literally like that..... in the same way you don't spell ferrite as I did. Just felt it needed to be said!

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2003 11:32 PM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bicth !

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-07-2003 04:43 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I'll provide a web site address soon where you can all read the letters and draw your own conclusion of how employers treat their employee's here in Britain.
How about calling it www.dodgydossier.com? And will you be giving us a 45-minute warning? [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: