Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra Stereo channel output configurations

Author Topic: Ultra Stereo channel output configurations
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-04-2003 02:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Ultra Stereo processors have 4 little dip switches on the backplane to switch the processor into various channel configurations.
If I select the mode with C mono + surrounds, will the processor route the mono sum of the front channels to all three front outputs?
We have a bad EQ card for R, so I would like to select this mode until we get the replacement. However, the L channel is still active but it carries a lot more dialog than usual so it seems that the mono sum is routed to all three outputs.

Or another example: if the C speaker goes bad, would it be possible to select this mode to route the L+C+R sum to the front outputs and pull the C EQ to disable C, leaving the mono sum on L+R? Obviously not a prime solution, but much better than losing the show...

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-04-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That allows the unit to be configuered in different formats
lr surround
front surround or 4 channel
The matrix is unused in the FS mode
usually all that fails on the eq cards is the relay short it out and they card usually works

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2003 08:03 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If all it means is saving the show just run it in bypass. you will have dialogue in all front channels. If there is the issue of when you put it in bypass there is no sound or sound is low. Just get you a film loop of pink noise and set the unit to bypass and adjust bypass adjustment on the preamp card so the sound preasure goes up to 75 db with the fader set to 7.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-05-2003 04:42 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the front and surround mode, are all channels supposed to carry the mono sum?
Since normally the reason for selecting this mode would be if you had a sound system with only one front channel, maybe nobody ever checked that, but it looks to me as if that is the case.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-05-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No in front surround you get only centre output recieving the sum
bypass will send it to all channels

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2003 11:38 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is the JS manual in the manual section. This will let you know what the dip switches do.

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so many switches, such little time [Confused]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-07-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon: Thanks for the tip. I will look into it the next time I am up there.
Clint: Thanks for the tip also. I had the manual already and even read it, so I know what the switches are supposed to do. However, I have a processor which outputs the mono sum on all three front channels (NOT in bypass) when I select the C and surround mode. How can that be?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-07-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
center surround has to be ran without a matrix card. I am a little confused because you say C and suuround mode yet you say that sound comes out of all three front channels. All three front channels should be set to full stereo. If the signal is the same in all three channels then there could be a problem in the format card. There could also be a problem in the matrix card or noise reduction card.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-07-2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a little confused too. That`s why I opened this topic. You mean the C and surround mode has to be played back without the matrix card in the processor?
I don`t want to set up the processor in this mode. I have restored it to full 4-channel glory. Still, when I set the switches to C and surround, I had mono sums come out of all front channels. That made me wonder if you could use this mode in case your C speaker has been stolen to play mono sums from left and right plus surround (rather than just play bypass) while the police is hunting the thief.

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The unit can be set up as Left/Right/Surround. Look on page 19 of the JS-200 manual for the configuratin. Darryl is correct about the matrix module being taken out for C/Surround configuration. Did you try the C/Surround mode without the matrix module? E-mail me if you like.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: