Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dts 6D interface

Author Topic: Dts 6D interface
Lakshman Thodla
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 12:49 PM      Profile for Lakshman Thodla   Email Lakshman Thodla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi,
i was curious to know if how exactly the dts 6D unit connects to the analog processors like USL JSX1000 Dolby CP65 and panastereo.
and also to the digital units like dolby cp500 and cp650.

when the unit does the D/A conversion after playback and decompression how does it output the signal to a digital cinema processor like dolby cp 500 or cp 650 does it have a digital interface with the above thus avoiding any D/A conversion within the DTS 6D or does it send out a analog 6 channel output which is again reconverted by the Digital cinema processor before it does the EQ and again D/A before it reaches the fader control.

I noticed a very great differnce in the quality of bass output by a cinema sound system playing DTS using a analog CSP and a digital CSP in the same auditorium and i found this happening in many other places where i saw a same movie the second or third time in DTS and also in the general Timbre of the sound which was much more sweeter mainly in the HF region if you can call it compared to the analog CSP.

thanks
Lakshman

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-02-2003 01:04 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS makes adapter boards for all the popular analog processors (USL, Dolby, Smart); the cabling between them is simply DB25 computer serial cables.

The CP500 requires a special card (cat 685) to accept an external 6-channel input. Also the signal from the DTS to the '500 is analog, the cat 685 card does the D/A conversion within the '500.

Don't know about the Panastereo or the '650.

-Aaron

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS uses a cable and an audio break out board to connect the audio to the processor. For the CP65 it uses a D564 breakout board and for the USL JSX1000 I believe it uses a D575 but someone correct me if im wrong. To control the playback format so that the DTS can switch the processor to digital and back to analog in the event of a drop out it uses a logic break out board. For the CP65 it uses a D564 and for the USL it uses a D571.

Im not sure if this is what you are looking for but someone may find this of help someday. Hope this helps a little. Im sure someone with more knowledge will add.
John

Looks like Aaron beat me to it.

Lakshman Thodla
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 01:19 PM      Profile for Lakshman Thodla   Email Lakshman Thodla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you so much for your replies,

So ultimately the signal output by the DTS6D is in analog form which is again reconverted to digital in a digital CSP or it continues to remain in the analog domain in a Analog CSP right through to the Fader stage.

maybe that is why i noticed very good quality sound from a DTS6AD unit compared to the systems as the DTS6AD which does all the EQ and decoding within the unit without Generation loss and additional A/D and D/A than needed and output a pristine signal straight to the amplifiers.

please correct me on this

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2003 03:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Either DTS or Dolby DA-20 digital processor plugs directly into the Panastereo with no special break out cables or PCB's needed. There is a dedicated input for each. DTS feeds "Digital 2" and DA-20 feeds "Digital 1" of the processors inputs.
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-03-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn`t "correct" you, but there are many other factors which are important too: is the dts-6D correctly installed and aligned to the CP? Are the levels set correctly? You can find all the info about setting and checking the output levels in the manual. What about the subwoofer channel treatment of the CP?
I wouldn`t generally say an additional A/D-D/A conversion degrades the sound noticeably (see also the parallel discussion about digital and analog crossovers).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: