Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Thx certification (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Thx certification
Lakshman Thodla
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Lakshman Thodla   Email Lakshman Thodla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi,
this is my first post on film tech and though i am not a projectionist i love film sound and the overall presentation and
operation of film equipment .I live in Hyderabad India and have been reading these forums for over 3 years now and gained so much from all of you thank you very very much .

my question is
what is the difference between a THX certified theater and a THX compliant theater.

Ex-suppose a engineer who has tuned and optimised all the settings for a certfied THX theater in terms of acoustics equipment RTA analysis etc and applies all the same techniques in designing a auditorium and sound system and using the THX R2 analyser and all THX certified parts in the B chain will the results be similar or almost equal to a THX certified screen.

And is it possible to design a screen that meets or exceeds THX quality standards without actually getting the screen certified by THX .

Thanks
Lakshman

P.S a very warm hello to Brad,Antonio,Gorden,Karen from DTS (i love DTS )and all the other esteemed members.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-02-2003 01:20 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
my question is what is the difference between a THX certified theater and a THX compliant theater.
A compliant theatre is basically the same as a certified one sans the certification. You cannot advertise using the THX® brand name or publicly display THX® logo trailers on films unless the theatre is officially certified.

quote:
Ex-suppose a engineer who has tuned and optimised all the settings for a certfied THX theater in terms of acoustics equipment RTA analysis etc and applies all the same techniques in designing a auditorium and sound system and using the THX R2 analyser and all THX certified parts in the B chain will the results be similar or almost equal to a THX certified screen.
Yes, it would be exactly the same as a THX certified screen except for the certification and in some cases the lack of the 'official' THX crossover modules in the 3417 or 1138 monitor/x-over units.

quote:
And is it possible to design a screen that meets or exceeds THX quality standards without actually getting the screen certified by THX .
You answered this one yourself in your example. [Smile] Of course, you can. As mentioned above, you just cannot use the THX® brand name in conjunction with said auditoria.

-Aaron

Lakshman Thodla
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Lakshman Thodla   Email Lakshman Thodla   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you very much
i have one more question What real use does the THX crossover box have when a digital crossover can be implemented from companies like JBL.I have seen the THX 3417 crossover at Starcity
Mumbai which is a THX screen.Some theaters in my city are using the JBL digital crossover( got to check the model no though )
with a cp650 wired up in EX mode with QSC amps and DTS6D and the sound is very good .

are all the crossover freq and designs of THX confidential or do you get to know about them during system calibration.

thanks
laksh

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actual THX liscensing and certification is for the most part a waste of money. A competant sound engineer can design you a ststem based on the THX principals and get you the same results. You can build a theatre, install its sound system, align it with the R-2 analyzer, and no one would know the difference. Stop and think that they charge 10,000.00 U.S. for the first screen, and then 9,000.00 U.S. for each additional screen just to let you use the name. ITS NOT WORTH IT!

As for the cross overs.... JBL I believe has discontinued all of their cinema cross overs. The USL VX series cross over has been giving me really good results. Its all digital, and does provide the proper time alignment needed. There are other companies that also make digital crossovers as well, but so far the USL has been the best performer for me. The settings for the different stage , subwoofer, and surrounds are all conained in the USL VX software, or you can easily create your own deign as well. These specs are always listed in the speaker manufacturers literature and data. Also, remember that your analog end of the system should be built using the highest quality equipment made.

BTW: You can get alot better processor by going with the Panastereo and adding an outboard digital processor to it. It does in fact have two digital inputs...one set up for DTS and the other for Dolby Digital. There is no processor on the market that approaches the aound, or build quality of the Panastereo at the present.
Mark

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-02-2003 05:42 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of items I've rarely ever seen in a non-THX certified auditorium. How many theaters build a baffle structure like the kind demanded by THX, as opposed to just bolting the speakers into the wall behind the screen? I haven't been to too many non-THX theaters that did extensive wall treatment either.

The principal goal of THX is a great one and valid for all commercial movie theaters. The bad things are outweighing the good though. Licensing fees are overpriced. And then the spec is not consistent in how it is applied. Some bad theaters are allowed to get under the wire with auditoriums that obviously don't meet the spec. If I walk into a theater and do "the clap test" I should not hear noticeable echo. The room should sound quiet and "dry." But I have been in plenty a THX house where that wasn't the case. So that makes me think the certification is just about getting the cash instead of enforcing certain levels of higher quality.

And that's too bad. Because that has allowed many a circuit to drop all THX certifications and cop the attitude "digital sound and stadium seating is enough." I have visited lots of new-yet-bad theaters in recent years all 100% thanks to this attitude. Industry-wide, I believe the folks managing the exhibition circuits care a lot less about sound and projection quality than they did 10 years ago.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"So that makes me think the certification is just about getting the cash instead of enforcing certain levels of higher quality."

Bobby,
My feelings exactly!! Sure the THX thing was a great idea but is way, way overpriced!! Believe it or not there are alot of baffle walls constructed in many non THX theatres across the country. Its the baffle wall that really makes the biggest difference in sound quality..... The auditorium acoustics are next in line. You can do decent room treatment and then add a baffle wall and the system will sound at least 50% better than without a wall. Aside from the bit of low frequency boost the wall provides it also reduces the reflections from off the back of the screen and really cleans up the dialog. Bafflettes also do a pretty good job, but no where near as good as a full wall does.
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to JBL crossovers...JBL does have the DSC-260 which is a DSP based crossover. THX used this crossover (With their badge on it) while the THX D-1138 crossover was still being made ready.

As to crossovers in general...stay away from DSP unless it gets you something. A good quality analog crossover is more than adequate for any 2-way system that is worth owning. I also strongly recommend staying away from people that "dabble" in certain technologies like DSP. It is more tricky than they realize.

DSP crossovers can bring something to the table though. Many will allow some parametric tuning to come along with the crossover functions. A few well placed and tuned parametric filters can all but eliminate the need for 1/3-octave equalization and all of its shortcomings.

If you are using a 3-way system...particularly if you are using one that cost under $2,000 for each speaker...then odds are you are better off with a DSP crossover to make up for the speaker's "issues."

If you want to look into a DSP crossover...I'd look at the RANE RPM-26Z...very power stuff there and with a great interface that will maximize S/N in both digital and analog domains. RANE RPM26Z

As to room vs baffle wall...I 100% disagree with Mark on this one...get the room right first...this includes all walls, ceiling (often forgotten about) and even the floor.

If you get at least 2" of fiberglass on the walls behind the screen and on the back wall of the auditorium you will be doing yourself a big favor but don't stop there. On the side walls you want at least 1" of fiberglass from ceiling to floor...don't stop about 5' up...people's ears are below that in their seats...you have to get the sound deadening down below ear level. If the room is small and too dead you can reduce the coverage from 100% down to as low as 75% but go all of the way down to the screen plane (very important).

Above the ceiling you want a MINIMUM of 6" of insulation (fiberglass) to knock down the resonance with the cavity above the tiles up to the roof top. This not only helps the sound greatly in the upper-bass and improves dialogue but helps on the heating/cooling costs. This one is often forgotten about since "after all we used acoustic tiles"...however the RT-60 test will quantify just how well that area is covered.

The area just in front of the screen is also a hot spot...if you have a really live area due to tile floor...carpet it! That is where the sound is eminating from keep it dead there.

Once you have all of that...then I push for the baffle wall...there is no substitute for it with a direct radiator speaker (non-horn load bass). The response of the bass will go up leaps and bounds...not just frequency response but the whole timbre of it will sweeten and sound much better. If you have horn-loaded bass cabinets, the value of the baffle wall is reduced...unless you have something like an Altec A-5 or A-7...those are only horn-loads down to 125Hz...below that they are bass-reflex and need a baffle wall to get a rather flat response down to 40Hz. The Altec A-4, with its bass-wings already has baffletes by design...cover them with fiberglass and they will do even better.

Think you are done? Only if you have a single...if you have any common walls...demand STC-75 for any common walls if you have digital sound...if not, and I don't care what anyone says, you WILL hear the neighboring theatre and that is another THX item...sound transfer.

While you are at it...make sure the booth wall adequately stops the sound too...STC-65 with double-glass ports (properly spaced, angled and with anti-reflective coatings) is the goal. As loud as the booth can be...the rectifier is about the only bass generating device and it isn't very loud comparatively. The most annoying thing is the sound of the projector coming through the port areas...double glass ports go a long way to nixing that sound. Also, keeping the port holes as small as practical is another thing...if you have a 36" x 36" port, learn how to know where the projection beam will be rather than having such a large, leaky target.

THX covers much of the above. One aspect I strongly disagree with them on is the angle of the ports....they have the double ports in a "A" formation so the glass on the auditorium side angles any reflected sound up...I haven't had an issue with a reasonably sized port glass causing undo reflections...I have had issues with booth side port glass reflecting the projected beam up and sometimes across a booth and out another theatre's ports!. Also, who wants the reflected beam up in their eyes? I'll stick with the "V" formation.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 10:45 PM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This topic reminds me that I lost a PDF manual detailing how to setup a THX auditorium. For example, it gave all details about how to construct the baffle. I've searched the web and the manual pages of Film-Tech but the specific one I have in mind is not here. I think (although I'm not 100% sure) that Brad had mentioned it in a forum topic and put a link to it -- that's how I got it the first time.

Could someone point me to this manual somewhere? Thanks a lot.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"If you get at least 2" of fiberglass on the walls behind the screen and on the back wall of the auditorium you will be doing yourself a big favor but don't stop there. On the side walls you want at least 1" of fiberglass from ceiling to floor...don't stop about 5' up...people's ears are below that in their seats...you have to get the sound deadening down below ear level. If the room is small and too dead you can reduce the coverage from 100% down to as low as 75% but go all of the way down to the screen plane (very important)."

This is what I would call a minimal decent room treatment..... I've been involved with lots of non THX rooms, and some THX rooms that required far more than this to meet the decay specs that were specified by THX and calculated out by the acoustical consultant. 6" of treatment ABOVE acoustical ceiling tiles is a typical minimal requirement for alot of rooms. I've actually seen this amount added to at one location to bring the RT-60 into spec!! 4" on rear auditorium walls is typical to allow proper LF absorbtion as is at least 2" on all rmaining walls. The cost of 1" vs. 2" is minimal and its really the labor to install what ever treatment you're doing thats the main expense involved. But here you HAVE to follow the specs your hopefully cinema experienced acoustical consultant has calculated for a given room.

As to the X-over thing.... I was very skeptical using my first DSP based x-overs, however I've actually grown very positive towards digital DSP type x-overs for use in any decent two way or three way system. The advantages of certain DSP/Digital systems far outweigh the iffy performance that even high end analog x-overs allow for. Its typical for many analog x-overs to be off by as much as 10 to 15% from where you THINK you are setting it, or from where THEY say they have preset it. Analog x-overs also introduce uneven amounts of phase shift at different operating frequencies. What DSP does provide is extreme accuracy of setting, no phase shift at all, very accurate presets for commonly utilized speaker systems, or extremely accurate preset or variable time alignment, parametric eq, screen loss and other finer adjustments that analog x-overs only dream of attempting. Most of the adjustments DSP provides would never be utilized though they are there if needed in some extreme condition. Indeed using the parametric adjustments can allow for a very minimal to no eq setting in the processor if the rest of the system was engineered correctly. Also, the sound quality of all of the DSP x-overs.....JBL, USL VX I've used is so superb as to seem to not even be in the system. As to cost over using analog x-overs..... not even noticable over the cost of building an 8 to 16 screen complex....
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-03-2003 08:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd put the AC-22B and AC-23B up against most DSP crossovers for just the crossover function. You have adjustable crossover frequencies, continiously variable time-delay and settable CD horn compensation (for the AC-23B you have two of the above since it is a 3-way device).

2-way crossover
3-way crossover

For long-term reliability, you just can't beat this sort of stuff. They are clean and transparent. In terms of cost they are considerably less than DSP alternatives which must send you through another set of A/D and D/A converters.

As to phase shifting...there is no getting around the laws of physics...you apply a frequency domain filter...you get a time-domain effect. The key is using a system that minimizes these.

Rane does have a new gizmo that will handle up to 4-way systems! It is all analog outside (knobs) and DSP inside...it is the AC-24 Analog controlled DSP crossover

As to the fiberglass...I did say "at least" not "no more than". I would agree that upping the rear wall of the auditorium (the one that the speakers point to) is a great idea.

Steve

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears that everyone here agrees that THX certification is not necessary to have a great sounding theater.

But how are the paying audiences supposed to differentiate between that well-done theater and the marginally acceptable one just down the road?

The THX moniker gives the audience something to look for when they are choosing which theater to attend to see a film. So, part of that certification fee is the marketing that goes into the THX name.

Obviously, issues relating to bad theaters still getting certification is a problem, and they should be tossed. But I would allow that no such program is without similar issues. I've stayed in a couple AAA rated 3-diamond hotels that should be closed by any authorities in charge of such things...

What is the incentive for a newly opening theater to put money into baffle walls and a good sound system if they can't differentiate themselves to the paying audience? If they screw it up really badly, and the sound is bad to even the most casual observer, they will suffer as a result. But aside from that, it's difficult for people to understand and appreciate minor differences (to the casual observer).

Unless the paying audience can somehow pick out the better presentations, all that money and effort that was put into going the extra mile will have been wasted (in effect). Those going that extra mile need a way to tell the audience that they have done so, and to pay attention to the difference between their theater and the mediocre one down the road. The THX label helps them do that.

I'd be willing to support any theater's efforts to do so by building that differentiation into our schedules on The BigScreen Cinema Guide. We currently have indicators for THX, digital sound (generic and each format), and stadium seating.

For over eight years, our goal has been to help people find the movies they want to see with the best possible presentation, and I would be more than happy to help a theater market and differentiate their shows over another that didn't care about sound or picture for the shows they present.

If paying for the THX certification is out of the question, how else do you suggest the audience differentiate between shows when they're trying to decide which theater to visit?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2003 07:04 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Al Capone, Don Vito Corleone, Varying Rocker-groups through history have always been offering "protection" against fee.
When fee is payed, Your shop will not be burned down (by us), when You come in tomorrow.
The Millenium version of this kind of business is to brainwash moviegoing (young) people, that only cínemas showing a certain logo on their facade are worth visiting. No sign, don't go in there.
Even spending 10, maybe 20 % of the "protection fee" on hype brainwash marketing, "protector" will earn good money, as long as cinema owners are kept afraid to be hung out for having no sign.

p.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-08-2003 12:21 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If paying for the THX certification is out of the question, how else do you suggest the audience differentiate between shows when they're trying to decide which theater to visit?
Most people don`t notice the difference in presentation quality from one theater to the next consciously, but I think they do very much subconsciously.
So a good presentation quality IS important. Most people do notice problems distracting from the immersing movie watching experience, like sound droputs, unevenly lit images, scratches etc.
In addition to that, good smooth service, friendly people, clean locations.

All the really obvious stuff.

OK, a theater chain needs some brand name to be recognized, and any theater has to gain attention somehow, but I think it is word-of-mouth rather than a THX or any other logo on the marquee which brings people to certain cinemas. Of course, that is not what marketing people would tell you. They want to sell you a logo or marketing strategy for a lot of money.

But in reality, it is maintaining good service and presentation which brings people to and keeps them at your location - nothing else.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 07-08-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve G: Those Rane crossovers have knobs on the front panel. Is there a product you would recommend that is a little more secure in terms of people fiddling after the installation?

As to the whole question of "how are audiences supposed to know..?"

Back in the 1980s the cost of THX certification and licensing were justified by appreciable differences in attendance. That's no longer the case. I think that the "Digital" buzzword means more today. The average person attributes "Digital" with "excellence." (Bobby said this already.)

You have to take into account the dire conditions of movie theatres prior to the introduction of the THX program. It really did a lot of good and I always thought that if the THX program succeeded that it would actually make itself obsolete. In fact, I believe this is part of the decline of THX today. THX benefitted the moviegoing public in one general sense: It made the audience aware that it could (and should) expect more than they were getting at the time, in terms of presentational quality. As a result, it brought showmanship back into many theatres and we are building better theatres today.

However, despite the benefits of the program, it is not without its problems.

I lost my faith in THX when tiny theatres started getting certification. The last straw was when THX entered the home-video arena.

One technician I spoke with said that he stopped carrying out recertifications because THX wanted so many things checked but only paid something like $200 to the field tech that did the work. Is it possible that there are techs out there doing less-than-perfect THX recert's because of this financial disincentive to doing good work? Could this be why I've seen/heard THX theatres that failed to impress me?

If a theatre or chain consistently invests in building good theatres then people can always seek out that theatre or chain when they want to go to the movies.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2003 09:46 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two flaws in the "do a good job, and the people will come without marketing" approach:

1. At least in this area, quality can vary greatly from screen to screen within the same location, much less from location to location within the same chain. There is no way to know which screen a movie is playing in unless you contact someone at the theater directly and ask (and hopefully you get someone that actually knows what you're asking for).

2. Being from both a technical (Engineering) and a Marketing background, I can appreciate both perspectives, and how each needs the other. Marketing without technical expertise is hollow. People will see that the emperor has no clothes. Technical expertise without marketing reduces your return on investment (ROI). You can invest all you want into making your screens look and sound great, but you also need to tell people what to notice so they can appreciate the improvements you've made.

Maybe THX has outlived its usefulness, I don't know. What I do know is that without some form of differentiation, audiences will make do with mediocrity and quality will slip little by little. The pendulum will swing and once again, we'll be back in the early 80's again and need something like THX to whip them back into shape.

With all of the ways for people to spend their time and money these days, marketing should be at the forefront of any theater's concerns. Home theaters have gone from being a niche hobby to a mainstream item in many homes, ranging from a simple surround system in a living room to a media room with a projector, etc.

If the THX materials are to be believed, 33% will choose a THX cinema over a non-THX cinema. Be pessimistic and cut that in half. Would grabbing 16% more business than your competitor be worth $10,000 a year ($192/week)? As with all marketing costs, it comes down to cost per sale, and if that cost is outweighed by the extra revenue.

I don't work for THX, never have. I am an advocate for the movie-going public, and I see no other reliable way for audiences to differentiate quality between two presentations of the same movie (even within the same location) except for the THX designation. At the very least, that moniker assures a basic level of quality and a certain amount of expectation. If a certified theater isn't up to snuff, both the theater and THX should have their feet held to the fire and account for their actions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: