Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » T3, Reel 6

Author Topic: T3, Reel 6
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 01:22 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Starts black. You're into it about half a foot or so before the first image. Using a leader from another reel will show you where the ref frame is (unless you have a frame counter). the start is also a little gray, if you look carefully.

|  IP: Logged

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 04:04 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We opened T3 tonight (Tues.) and I had to rush building the print since I don't work all day. I ran into this and really had to strain to find where to cut that reel.
Also got a print of Legally Blonde 2, in which one reel had several frames of overexposed images. Kind of looked like your old 8mm home movies after sitting around for years, as in badly faded red.
Good luck guys and gals.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 08:47 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
took me all of 10 seconds to find were to splice that one. Frame lines visable you should not have to have any grayish or color diferance in the projected image. You want to cut that out.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 10:51 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On both prints that I built, I noticed the all black, no frame line frames, then it went grayish with black frame lines. The first image I saw was a red cursor. I assumed it was the first frame of the reel, and that is where I made the splice. When we screened it, all seemed fine. I was so into the movie, perhaps I did not notice though. Any thoughts?

AJG

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2003 01:14 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is about six inches of black after the red cursor that I think should be projected. If you hold it up to a bright light you can see framelines. The 'black' frames after the red cursor match the black in the those frames for a few inches and then you see a shade difference. I think this is where the reel ends (at least I hope it is because that's where I cut it).

Worse comes to worse just count from the changeover cues. I was confident enough in my analysis of the frames that I didn't do this, perhaps I should have.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-03-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dustin you were correct in your Cutting decision.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-04-2003 11:47 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, the print I saw today was cut the way Dustin & Darryl describe, and it seemed perfect. No jarring discontinuity with image or sound. Looked "right". [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: