Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Xenon struck with safety shell on (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Xenon struck with safety shell on
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 10:43 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong Highlight console

It happens once in awhile. A manager, while in the process of changing a xenon bulb, was interupted by a cell-page. He returned to the job, and forgot the one important step of removing the shell from an Osram 6000W/hs bulb.

As the smell became very evident shortly after the show started, and smoke began emminating from the lamphouse, he shut down the equipment.

When I got there, my first job was to remove the carbon-like plastic from the floor of the lamphouse and clean what I could from the reflector. I then changed the bulb.

My question is this; the removed bulb looks pretty much ok around the quartz area, but there are ugly blobs where the quartz meets the metal.

Does anyone know of a safe way of removing this plastic or have they junked a bulb?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-01-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was lucky it didnt blow right then and there! [Eek!]

Junk the bulb, the quartz will likely have been weakened at any point the plastic contacted it when hot. You might even get lucky and get your dealer to do a warranty return on it.

-Aaron

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2003 11:09 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how melting plastic would "stress" the envelope....but it might comtaminate it somewhat. All it did was melt and run off. I would probably consult Osram on this one and see what they reccommend. It might be safe to remove the reflector and let it just burn off completely and then clean the envelope appropriately. I'd be curious to see what they say...?
Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-01-2003 11:21 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of someone that ran a 2kw Osram for quite some time after doing the same thing to it. Apparently they had no problems with it.

Hopefully it's not the same person again. [Smile]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-01-2003 11:22 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what ever happened to double checking your work. When ever doing this type of work turn off the cell phone for 10 minutes. If you can't and are interupted double check your work.

I would probably scrap the bulb because even if you did take the suggestions given by osram there is no guarentee that the bulb will opperate as it should without possable explosion. better to loose just the bulb than it is to damage other parts of the lamphouse.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-01-2003 11:43 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Managers! Do we go and mess with their cash register paper rolls?

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 11:48 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree 100%, Frank, but in this brave new world, it's the best we've got on site.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 01:14 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, double checking anything in the field, especially something as sensative as a bulb change is crutial but in defense of theatre managers, they have got their plates pretty full running the theatre. I mean, they aren't allowed to let staff do anything anymore short of sweep up popcorn because it violates some sort of company policy. If an emergency bulb change has to be done, it's quite often during the busiest part of the theatre's operational period. So why not call a technician you say? Well, I don't know what it's like in other theatre chains but the one I work for is expecting it's managers to try and cut costs where ever possible and calling a technician to come out and change a bulb is an expense that the big cheeses feel is not wisely spent due to the fact they can have managers do it and not pay them any extra. So between the lack of incentive because of increased responsibility and no increase in pay combined with a stressful job environment as it is, if one manager happens to make a mistake like this every once and a while, it's not the end of the world. They're only human right?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-02-2003 02:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
With a 6000 watt lamp, I don't recommend this, but for what it's worth I have seen almost this EXACT same thing happen once before. It was an Osram bulb (but only a 2000 watt) in a Strong Highlight I console. Although it reeked of "burned plastic stench", amazingly the bulb still performed flawlessly and ran past warranty hours.

Being a 6K bulb, I would recommend to remove it and cut your losses.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 02:23 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg illustrates the point perfectly.

I have known the individual who made this mistake, for years. He is quite comptetent and capable of changing a bulb properly.

Had he not been distracted (by other essential operational issues) during the bulb-changing operation, this topic would not exist.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-02-2003 03:03 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, are you supposed to take the plastic shell off?

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 03:47 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not junk the bulb, junk the manager!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rick wrote:

quote:
I have known the individual who made this mistake, for years. He is quite comptetent and capable of changing a bulb properly.

Had he not been distracted (by other essential operational issues) during the bulb-changing operation, this topic would not exist.

I was once fitting a regulator to a propane cylinder; I had hand-tightened it, but not put the spanner on it. I was distracted by a 'phone call, came back, forgot that I hadn't finshed the job, lit a match first as you are supposed to do, opened the cylinder valve, and had a metre-long flame coming out of the cylinder, and had to reach down through the flame to grab the cylinder valve, and turn it off. I won't be doing that again!

It's all too easy to do this sort of thing if you get distracted.

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 07:15 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS! IMHO i would "ditch the bitch". Better safe than sorry

Dennis J. Losco
Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 11:29 AM      Profile for Dennis J. Losco   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis J. Losco   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me there is stress in the quartz. A finger print alone can induce enough stress to cause an explosion. Molten plastic, worse yet.
Denny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: