Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Floor Resurfacing

Author Topic: Floor Resurfacing
Bob Brown
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 06:31 PM      Profile for Bob Brown   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am posting this for our IMAX Director in hopes of getting some opinions on this subject.

The floor in our IMAX auditorium, which is painted, is in need of stripping and repainting. Other theatres in the building have been stripped and repainted, but using the pervious method, a great deal of paint dust resulted. What I am seeking is suggestions that you may have as to the best way to complete this project. We have a silver screen that can not be cleaned so preventing any dust from the floor sanding hitting the screen is of the highest priority! Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 07-01-2003 11:07 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How important is it that the floor be painted. Is it worth the risk of damaging the screen and surrounding soundfold and seat cushions with the dust. For Imax you spend what 45 mins. for standard films and 2 or more hours for other films all this basically in the dark. If painting it is that important then I would scrape up the dead paint and roll the paint down on the floor.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-01-2003 11:27 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the current paint isn't too thick you might be able to just paint over it.

Otherwise you could try stipping the floor while wet, if possible.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-01-2003 11:39 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a lot of tarp.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 07-01-2003 11:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
It's actually epoxy he has on the floor there.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 12:47 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can afford it, build a temporary positive pressure environment around the screen (think asbestos abatement).

--jhawk

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the size of an IMAX screen, that ain't going to be cheap.

Might it be possible to remove the screen and store it (rolled up) in a clean air environment or sealed container while the work is being done?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 11:26 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Daryl notes, would it be possible to sand the finish of the floor while it is slightly wet? Would eliminate dust, but could raise other serious issues (e.g., electrical safety, slipping). Solvent strippers are usually not very effective on epoxy finishes, not to mention the fume hazard.

Gerard S. Cohen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2003 11:33 AM      Profile for Gerard S. Cohen   Email Gerard S. Cohen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it's time to consider laying vinyl tiles, which are easy to keep clean and don't peel. Perhaps their long life
would make them cost effective, as against repeated sanding and re-painting.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 08:05 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually seen this being done in a factory where continuing production had to be in a relatively clean environment. The epoxy floor paint stripping was done in a semi-rigid tent-like thing with inflated ribs - "airshelter" or similar name. An exhaust fan blew the air inside through a flexible duct outside into a filter box that trapped some of the dust. The workers just picked up the "building" and moved it to the next spot when finished with the floor inside. Once the area being refinished was stripped the structure was to be deflated and removed and then the painting would be done in one go.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-03-2003 12:41 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, betcha that rig isn't going to come cheap, as neither will the positive pressure environment thing or even tons of tarp. I'd go with Gerard's suggestion; it's an elegant solution and probably the cleanest, not to mention inexpensive, and look at the variety of floor looks you can choose from! And I missed why it can't be just painted over?....cheaper still.

Frank

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: