Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Weird scratches on film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Weird scratches on film
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious about these scratches on a film, a scan is attached here.

-

It's on the print throughout a few reels in the same place. I've seen this type of scratch on one other print.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-28-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More info needed.

What kind of projector are you using?

It is scratches on the base side or emulsion side of the film?

I would guess there was a loop too big, or the intermittant sprocket film stripper is flapping around on the film, or the film is slapping and moving on a stationary part somewhere. It looks like some kind of "flutter scratch" in syncronization with the pull-down cycle. Is your film trap falling apart? and pad rollers ready to fall off?

I never seen these type scratches in real life, but I am sure curious myself.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like the kind of emulsion scratch you'll get from running a Christie with the lower loop set too large. The film slaps against the bottom of the Ultramittent on each pulldown.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-28-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well they should never have released a projector that could do that kind of damage so easily. Are manufacturers in total denial of who's running movies these days?

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys, sorry I wasn't too clear on my post. I did not cause these scratches myself (I run a motiograph AA by the way), its the way it was when it arrived. I thought the cause could be burrs or bumps somewhere along the film path in a projector but I've never seen these types of scratches before except on one reel of another print. And yes the scratches are on the emulsion side of the film.

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think these are scratches.

That's an IB Tech print; check out the sound track.

I've seen this. It only happens to IB. The emulsion "cracks" like this. I think (not positive), that it was caused by the heat of a carbon arc at some point. It tends to be in very dark areas of the print, which would be the place that heat would be absorbed.

I've seen this on several reel 4's of "Ben Hur" (IB prints). Reel 4 is full of dark, night scenes.

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Productions

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-28-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this, too. Like Jeff said, only on IB Tech prints. It's like the emulsion wrinkled from being folded or bent or something.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-29-2003 12:39 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each frame with the same basic pattern? Two prints? I find that hard to believe, but I suppose anything is possible.

I have to side with John, but the damage might have done in a multiple pass situation.

Another thing that could cause it is a very badly worn and hooked intermittant sprocket. Sometimes they won't release the film on pull-down. It'll definately slap the intermittant....depends on how bad the sprocket is worn.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2003 12:55 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wouldn't there be emulsion side scratches of the green or yellow veriety if a projector head caused them? What is the name of the movie the scene is from?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-29-2003 01:50 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darryl, that's why I asked. I didn't see much evidence of what one might expect to see for emulsion scratches. Maybe it was reported in error. Hard telling at this stage....

It could have been caused by an excessively tight loop if it was stock scratch..and that could have caused it to fwap against the heel of the trap between the intermittant sprocket shoe, especially if it was sprung.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-29-2003 04:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to side with Jeff on this. I've been trying to figure out just how that kind of scratch could be made and I keep coming up with nothing close to what I see. Jeff's specialty is things like this and he has an insanely huge film archive and has handled lots of IB prints. I have a feeling he knows what he is talking about here. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2003 04:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff is right,
I have a heat damaged print like this in my collection, It comes ansd goes on my print on only one reel. And I've only seen it happen to I.B. Tech. Some of those 80 foot wide indoor screens with lamps that are just too large for the film format......
Mark

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-29-2003 12:32 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This damage looks similar to what I saw when our cooling pump quit working on our 5k lamphouse. After a few passes this is similar to the damage we saw on the print which was our flag to a real problem with our system.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-29-2003 10:59 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be way the hell off base but what the hell...

I've seen some scratches of similar nature occur when somebody cleans the intermittent sprocket with a toothbrush while the motor is running. One of the bristles gets caught in the sprocket and is pulled right out of the brush handle. The resulting "hair" in the sprocket flaps against the film.

The damage will be on the emulsion side and will build up into a fan shaped pattern as more and more runs are put on the print.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: