Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Blower problem - Orcon 1600

Author Topic: Blower problem - Orcon 1600
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this might be Joe and Paul's favorite console. It fried its blower motor last night.

It's labeled as a Dayton 4C005.
Grainger has a 4C004 and a 4C006 (figures, eh?).

The '4 matches, as far as dimensions are concerned, though it appears to have a smaller motor than the '5.

The '6 comes closer, but it appears to be a slightly larger housing.

They're running it full-out... probably getting the light output of a maglight from it! (well... maybe a little more [Razz] )

Anyone know if there's a good cross for this fan?

Thanks.
Jack

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 02:03 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the larger fan will fit err on its favor

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-28-2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Gordon.....if it fits. [Smile]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it had a 3M043 as the actual motor on the blower assembly, then it was replaced with # 3M548 (around $29).

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-29-2003 12:32 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing you could do....I have done it in the XH-16S lamphouses. Simply get a blower that has the same motor in RPM and HP and rotation direction, and take the motor and put it in the old housing. Works great!

If it is an ORC console, just drill a couple of holes so it can be bolted on. Done that, too. The Optimax Orcon II is a little trickier....it has a hefty blower in it. Never had to replace it - yet!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-29-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Guys...
I'll be calling Grainger on Monday!

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 06:48 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI...

I got ahold of Grainger's tech dept today.

They're listing the 4C446 as the cross reference for the 4C005 assembly. The replacement motor for the '005 is a 4M300. That's a closer match (1/25 hp vs 1/15) than the 3M548 motor.

Thanks again!
Jack

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: