Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » damaged Dolby Digital - Cinemeccanica

Author Topic: damaged Dolby Digital - Cinemeccanica
Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 07:17 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI everyone

I need your help... Here is the story from the beginning. When I worked in my one-screen theater I always had a problem: my two V5 (auto rewind) scratched the DD data in a strange way, as in the picture.

-

It was not a continuous scratch, I was not able to solve the problem but just minimize it adjusting all the rollers. At that time I thought that there were something on that projector too old (gate, sprockets) because the projs were 8 years old.

Now I'm working in a new multiplex with all new V5 and I'm facing again the same problem. Before this new job I was at a 16plex with V5 but with curved gate and the problem wasn't there.

So I suppose that the gate IS the problem. We clean them perfectly every day, the tension is at minimum setting.

WHAT can I do? I have serveral print damaged...

Please note that on some prints the scrath is almost on all the surface of the DD square, on others there is just a little scratch in the bottom (like first perforation in the picture) like there is something attempting to strach the print...

I appreciate your help...

Bye
Antonio

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Intermittent" scratches outside the picture area like that are often caused in the gate, or by the intermittent shoe. In this case, look for a burr or rough spot in those areas on any surface that touches the emulsion side. It's unlikely that type of scratch happened anywhere the film is moving continuously.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
The best cure is to tell your boss that you need a new Kinoton Head!!! [thumbsup] Those WON"T scratch the film......
Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 12:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is odd that it appears leading out of each perf
After the first pass of the print is there a single mark only by one perf per frame?
If so check the roller on the intermitent pad If it is on every one then I would check the rail of the trap or the edge of the apperture plate carriage also spotlessly clean the machine as that type of damage will defintely leave a telltale depsoit behind
Also check the large roller leading down to the sould head for a flat spot

Also you may want to use a strobe light to see if a small loop is forming below the trap between it and the intermitent and that the film is beating the lower edge of the rail

never seen that mark before the Vic5's usually are a very robust and gentel projector.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 05:53 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also you may want to use a strobe light to see if a small loop is forming below the trap between it and the intermitent and that the film is beating the lower edge of the rail

Gordon, what do you mean?

Bye
Antonio

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-29-2003 06:38 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you have the forward / reverse machine which has probably originally set up for acetate film, it may be more unkind to the more thin estar / mylar stock. The intermittent pad roller and upper rollers above the gate can be the source of problems. A part of the gate which may not be touched while in forward operation maybe touching the film during reverse. the stobe light would help you to freeze the image of the sprockets and other areas to locate the damage while the machine is in motion.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 06:20 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

I had two forward-reverse machine. Now I'm using normal V5.

Interesting thing the strobe light tecnique... I never seen/used it.

Bye
A

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Antonio,
Cinemeccanica's are very rough on SRD. I don't know Italy's number but you can give Samuel Hynds a call in the US office at 626.939.0811. He is really good and has helped me find some strange problems.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 10:23 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The strobe is a great tool for seeing what's really happening in the running projector. You need one with adjustable and stable flash speed. A "party" strobe will probably not be stable enough for this but worth a try. Once you synchronize the flashes to the frame rate, the machinery appears to be stationary. adjusting so the speed is slightly different makes the movement appear in slow motion, and you can see exactly what the film is doing (and hitting) as it gets jerked through. Just remember that everything is actually still turning! There is a great temptation to stick your finger in to feel something because it really looks like it's not moving.

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
ANY poorly maintained projector will damage prints!

Philippe Laude

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2003 04:53 AM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Philippe

My projectors are nor poorly maintained!! [Wink]

Bye
A

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-02-2003 10:43 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strobes for motion analysis:

Reliability Direct

Electrical Contractor

Test Equipment and Tools

Homemade Strobe Mod

LED Strobe

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2003 01:58 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just the other night i played a print with similar abrasions. it looked like every 3rd-5th data block was scratched (in the few places i stopped to check while winding, after noticing the problem). i didn't notice any sound problem until the last 2 reels, when there were some of those clicking block repeats mentioned in another thread. i could only play it once, or i would have verified in the booth that it wasn't actually dropping out.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: