Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help: Pro 35 vertical shaft washer orientation

Author Topic: Help: Pro 35 vertical shaft washer orientation
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 01:54 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you can see i've taken apart the Ballantyne to put in new oil seals. The problem i'm faced with is the placement of the spring washer <pic 1> in the lower cap(far left hand corner, with Vertial shaft center, and Intermittant movement and shutter shaft in background).

-  -
When I took the lower cap off to take out the shaft, that washer flew out; many plastic bits from old couplers were also found inside that cap. Now I have no idea which side of the washer is up or down. It's part number 2903 on page 14 of the manual, however the poor drawing doesn't give any indication of the proper orientation of the washer to the cap/bearing.

Danny [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-28-2003 06:03 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,
The bent fingers go against the bearing. The flat side against the retainer cup.
Mark @ CLACO

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you have the steel gear on the intermittent, you may want to replace with a fiber gear.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks again Mark [thumbsup]

danny

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-29-2003 01:00 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny, that's what I thunk, and Mark verified it. [Big Grin]

Is that a steel gear on the movement? If it is, take Mark's advice and get rid of it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2003 09:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell what the gear is on the movement fomr the photo. If its cast iron then I'd leave it. Steel to cast iron gear pairs are some of the longest wearing materials in existance. I can't imagine that even Strong woulda used steel. A good example of cast iron/steel gear pairs is in the DP-70. But yes, if its not cast iron then get rid of it and get the plastic gear.
Mark

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's metal, but how would i know if it is cast iron or steel?

My spare Int. movement has the fibre gear. I can swap it if necessary; it'll just mean getting out the gear puller to get that evil pulley off again, stuck tight! [puke]

Danny

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-29-2003 01:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dam,
Its somewhat difficult to tell since both are mangetic, but sometimes cast iron is a bit porus and or grainy looking in some spots and you may be able to see this grainy appearance.

The plastic gear can be removed without dismantling the movement. Unscrew the nut that secures the gear and remove it with a small gear puller. Just be sure to keep the puller fingers away from the key.
Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-29-2003 05:23 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Leave it alone.... Stop fucking around with it...the steel gear is fine.

I've put in over 300 of them in special venue parks & theatres...4/35, 8/35, 5/70, 8/70, & 10/70.

The fibre ones always will eventually strip-out cuz the stock shutter is way too heavy for the gear. It gets worse with a standard sync motor that comes up to speed without any slow-start.

At Iwerks, we developed a light-weight shutter that was retro-fitted to further lighten the gear load.

>>> Phil

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 08:13 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have torn down many of these machines...the one thing I found that wears out the intermittent & coupler is framing the machine, I have replaced intermittents once a year due to the projectionist will not frame the machine before going onto the screen...if the projectionist will frame these without moving the framing handle, the internal parts will last 10-times longer than if they keep framing the machines...so some reason I find the projectionist will not listen to me & continue to frame on the screen, which is a very un-professional...I have a theatre that does frame the machine without using the framing handle, & I never had to replace anything in 15-years....this is proof this works !!

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, maybe you should sneak one of the Disney intermittents in on your next repair job and leave them without a choice! [evil]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-29-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The spline has never been a big issue up here with competent projectionists looking after them. In fact they fave about the same track record as the DP75 and FP20's up here

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: