Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm Projector

Author Topic: 16mm Projector
Dan Parnham
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 05:56 AM      Profile for Dan Parnham   Email Dan Parnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are looking to sell our Fumeo HL3000 16mm projector. I unfortunately have no idea how old it is.
It is in good working condition except for a shonky dowser (I think the solenoid needs replacing).

Are there any suggestions at how much it might be worth?
We were thinking of advertising on ebay and so are looking to set the reserve price.

|  IP: Logged

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-26-2003 08:36 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ebay has TONS of 16mm projectors that have sold (or are for sale). Just do a search on completed items to get an idea of what you might get for your specific model.

By the way, what's "shonky" mean?

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 11:21 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, expensive and/or professional grade 16mm projectors on ebay seldom seem to fetch the kind of prices you would expect to see. Proportionately, the table top xenons seem to do the best, with Eiki EX-3500's and 5000's often bringing as much as 6000's and 9000's (the most common "semi-professional" units up for auction. I think it's a combination of hobbyists not appreciating the better units, being scared of parts availability with many brands, or the cost and hassle of shipping and installing a dedicated circuit for the larger machines.

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 11:45 AM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mark.
The word "shonky" is common in Australia as well as the UK..
In the case of the dowser fault it would mean an intermittent type of fault to imply the dowser works one time but may not do so next time.
The word can also mean "suspect" or "dishonest", for example a shonky used car salesman which means to beware as the salesman could most likely be dishonest.
John Spooner. South Australia.

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Fumeo HL3000 also, The xenon lamps are probably the most expensive part of this machine. I agree with the others that you would probably not get much for this machine since 16mm is now a 'dead' format for most film exhibitors. Do you need to sell it for cash, or are you just making space? It is the sort of thing that it would be worth holding on to for the future. You don't know you need something until you don't have it anymore.

If you had to put a price on it, I would expect to receive somewhere in the region of £100, although to someone who is actually actively looking to buy one you could obviously charge more.

Mike

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dear Mark. The word "shonky" is...
Thanks, John! I think I can honestly say that I've never heard that word before. But I'll be looking for excuses to throw it out there in everyday conversation now. [Wink]

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shonky? It's a perfectly cromulent word! [Big Grin]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 09:43 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably an Eborian contraction of "Shagged Out" and "Wonky"!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-27-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The larger Fumeo machines have typically sold for in the range of 500.00 US on ebay in the past
they are a good machine but the claw is a bit pricy to replace

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-28-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eiki is phasing out their 16mm projector production line at the end of the year and the rep who told me this said that all of a sudden when the word go out, there was an upsurge of buyers looking to grab as many projectors as they could (Eiki is going fully into video projection production instead). I guess the many places who have 16mm film libraries want to insure that they will have projectors to run their prints on in the long term.

Eiki demo-ed their "theatre projector" as they call it -- LCD technology advanced to its practical limits -- at the museum on a smallish screen 26ft wide. I must say, for what it is (LCD video), they were able to get quite a "decent" video picture out of this technology. Bright too. And with a 1100:1 contrast ratio which is, considering what was typical for LCD units up until only a few years ago, quite impressive.

Frank

Dan Parnham
Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 04:40 AM      Profile for Dan Parnham   Email Dan Parnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm glad that I've been able to introduce some of you to new and interesting words!
I'll have to try and fit some good British slang in my future posts [Wink]

About the 16mm :
We are just looking to make some space, but if we could get a reasonable amount of money it would be a great help since we are not a commercial cinema.

Dan

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 07:23 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinese are still producing a very nice quality 16mm projector with the same 1k Xenon as used in the portable 35mm projectors. I just supplied a new one to a film society here. The rectifier is in two pieces for easy handling. They can be purchased in a set with two projectors and one rectifier with a simple change over system. Their about two thirds the price of the 35mm portables.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin:

Do you have the brand and model of these Chinese 16mm projectors? Do you have a link to a webpage?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: