Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Newer Red LED's (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Newer Red LED's
Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 12:15 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive seen the older Cat701 Dolby Digital Reader giving a fantastically low error rate with brand new prints.After the life of the led is over, on changing the LED the error rate does is comparatively higher. Does this mean that the newer LED's are not good or they do not have the right wavelength? Who manufactures these LEDs? And why are they coming with reverse polarity?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-25-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The quality of the RED LEDs vary all over the place and always have. Some have great light output while some do not...some seem to last forever while others seems to die in a about a year or two.

As to the polarity. One of the cautions was that the polarity is not consistant. I have found that all of the RED LEDs to be identically polarized to each other. Likewise, I've found all of the IR LEDs to be polarized with each other. However, I've found that IR and visible RED LEDs have been opposite to each other.

Who supplies the bulk of the LEDs...why DOLBY, of course...why do you think they want the stupid things so much? It isn't because they are better, in fact they are much worse. If you want good performance from a digital reader, use white light, if you want good performance from a solar cell...use IR light, it is that simple. Dolby should have stopped with the Cat. 700 reader and the industry would have been much better for it.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2003 09:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has also overlooked the possibility of using a custom multiple array WHITE LED.......... I have to wonder if that wouldn't have been the best route to go for a solid state emitter.
The CAT 700 was by far the best of the lot of readers out there....
Mark

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-25-2003 04:56 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quick question -- How exactly do errors impact the presentation in the theatre?

For example:

Can we hear a difference between a "1" and, say, a "3"?

In terms of error rates, what is the threshold at which the system starts to sound bad or default to analog?

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you shouldn't hear any difference until it fails. since it's digital, it works perfectly until it fails catastrophically.

carl

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-25-2003 06:04 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what I thought but I figured I oughtta check before I go ahead and ask something like:

So what's the big deal? Why do we care if our error rate goes up?

And I don't mean that as a rhetorical...I'm really just asking.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-25-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

Dolby isn't interested in the white-light LED anymore than in the EPT lamp...neither makes them money. Come on, a $15.00US lamp that lasts over a year and is user changable...it is pretty tough to beat.

By using the visible red LEDs for everything, Dolby has been able to artifically inflate the red LEDs numbers that will, no doubt, improve their cost to Dolby and possibly allow them to give false quantities regarding the red-reader conversion (by merely stating a number on LEDs manufacturered rather than ever stating the quantity that actually went to analog readers).

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-25-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
I wasn't thinking about Dolby's cost vs. profits, nor about EPT lamp life. I was thinking thata WHITE version of the LED array might be better noise wise. I'm quite sure it would cost a fortune to make them......figure about three times as expensive as the red is.
Mark

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-25-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So does anybody know the answer to my questions? I will re-state them...

(a) What is the highest error rate tolerated by SRD before defaulting to analog?

(b) At what point in the error rate number line should one become concerned about digital tracking errors?

Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,
Here in India it would be ideal to start with lowest possible error rates as films run here for maybe 10 to 15 weeks. So with print conditions getting worse with every run, we wouldnt like the processor switching to SR. Not that an error rate of 5 would sound any worse than say 3. Moral: The lower the error rate better the chances of the film running in Digital over its period of showing.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Error rates of 7 or 8 are where we get concerned. Most new prints track 2 or 3 for us, used is usually around 5.

Steve Guttag

- posted 06-26-2003 12:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny,

The highest error number for Dolby Digital is "8". Sonically, the difference between 0 and 8 should be zero. The higher the number, the more the error correction has to work. However, if the error correction does work, the digital word is recreated exactly as it should so sonically there is no difference.

The error number is a decent indication of how well the system is reading the film. As the digital track becomes damaged, the more the error correction has to work. Also, as the reader system becomes less calibrated (focus, azimuth, light levels) so too will the error numbers increase. Generally, if you have a reader system that yields a steady 5 or better, then there isn't too much to worry about. However, if that same system that was yielding a 5 or better starts to consistantly rise over several weeks time to say 6. or 7...then there is an indication of impending failure.

More often than not, the cause is LED fade or the light source going bad. Also, generally as one approaches 8 on the error meter, the number of block failures (repeated blocks) also tends to increase and they are most certainly audible.

Steve

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 01:07 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Continual error rates of low 6's to 7 can be heard as what I refer to as 'blips' particularly during music/long tones. Of course the closer to F it gets the more those 'blips' can be heard in regular dialog.

Alexander Alves
Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for Alexander Alves   Email Alexander Alves   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys you'll are all missing the point. What I wanted to know is are there multiple manufacturers of the LED's under discussion. Agreed to what Steve says some LED's die in a year and some last forever. Are there no standards? USL is also manufacturing LED's but none seem to match the quality of the Dolby LED's.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2003 02:36 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Alexander, the thread wandered. Hope someone can answer your question though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: