Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film skewing in RCA 1040 soundhead

Author Topic: Film skewing in RCA 1040 soundhead
Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

I've got a problem, apparently with only one of the RCA 1040s at work. Occasionally the film will somehow get skewed such that the Lt track drops to nearly nothing. I have verified this on both stereo and mono films with an oscilloscope in X-Y mode. Gently tugging on the film as it exits the (Century C) projector holdback sprocket restores the Lt-Rt balance. I have verified correct lateral alignment/levels with Cat. 97 and 69T.

I haven't caught it doing this enough times to determine whether it's happening at a splice, or what. However, the film looks well-seated, the lateral guide roller spins freely, and the spring-loaded flange seems to move freely as well. Nor does the film make any unusual noise when it skews around. However, I have noticed that small deviations in X-Y plot angle (from 45 degrees) correlate to an increased buzzing sound coming from somewhere in the soundhead film path.

Any explanations/suggestions would be much appreciated. I don't know if this is a new problem with the soundhead since it's not noticeable in the booth, but definitely noticeable in the auditorium as the left channel drops out and center shifts to right!

Edit: After playing around with some old trailers, I do see that the soundhead lateral guide roller can be made to pinch the film, and the film will stay pinched until it is pushed back into place. Is there a way to adjust the stiffness of the spring-loaded flange?

[ 06-23-2003, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Christopher Seo ]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-23-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure that the lateral guide/impedance roller casting is not bent, or cracked and running at a slight angle. This is VERY common on Simplex 4 star sound heads, and could happen on an RCA as well and these old die castings can be fragile. This would easily cause the film to skew to one side and sit there. I've seen 4 star sound heads in which the film wouldn't even stay in there at all...... It walked right out of the scanner.

Also check bearings, impedance roller, and all parts associated with that section. Replace anything thats worn.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
often it is too much side tension from the spring on the flange of the roller causeing the thinner estar stock to buckel

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 08:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition, make sure the cushion roller is not stuck. Also if I recall correctly, one of the lateral guide flanges is spring loaded. When you push on it, it should snap back when you let it go. If it is stuck or does not snap back, chances are someone was using too much WD-40. It will jam those things up quicker than a bumble bee getting smashed in your face when riding a motorcycle.

Also check the alignment of the CS sprocket in the soundhead, as well as the holdback sprocket in the projector. The holdback is probably not out of alignment, but with that fruit-cake way the projector bolts to the 1040/1050, the whole projector could be "cocked" by a couple of degrees or so. Grab ahold of the projector head and give it a twist. If it moves, you probably found the problem. Re-align it and tighten down the bolts with a wrench you don't have. I had to make a wrench to fit by grinding it down on a grinder. (actually, a tappet wrench will probably fit...if you can find one....)

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 09:26 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
see if the sound drum moves in/out, I have seen this same thing cause by the sound drum moves causing the drop out...

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-23-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....or the rotary stabilizer dragging on the cover of the gear side of the soundhead. If it is, stuff some washers into the bolt-up pattern of the cover.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had that problem when I first got my 9030. I found that the lateral guide needed a good cleaning out. Gave it a good cleaning and replaced the roller and haven't a problem since.

Richard B. Perrine
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Richard B. Perrine   Email Richard B. Perrine   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had the problem here with the casting and the bearing.

One bearing is fixed and keeps the laterial guide rollers and the shaft in place. However, I've found several soundheads 1040 and 9030.....that the casting changes or expands....allowing the bearing and shaft to shift in and out slightly. this is independant of the adjustments for the buzz track....and annoying when it hits a splice and the shaft shifts position andstarts scanning the timecode or the sprocket holes.

Our solution was to disassemble the laterial guide roller assembly....taking out the bearings,shaft and rubber roller....the drill a very small hole and tap the casting for a screw to hold the bearing in place.

RBPerrine@aol.com

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try all these suggestions as any one of them could be the cause.
Many years ago, when working for Photophone, I had a 9030 that would do this and I tried everything including many of the above and I really had a caustic projectionist on my hands. Finally replaced the stud that screws in the frame that carries the lateral guide roller assy and this did it. Must not have been parallel to the drum or something. I was so damn glad to get it corrected I never investigated further.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: